Best Shore Excursions in Cayman Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations for best shore excursions in the Cayman Islands. Cruising with my husband and two girls 10 & 17.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM

The most popular is the swimming with the stingrays excursion, which your girls should enjoy. There is also one that goes to Hell ( a real location) and a giant turtle sanctuary. You should note that on the dock after arriving by tender from the ship, there are a number of local tour operators available that are cheaper than using the cruise line excursions.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM

We took Captainīs Marvin excursion. Went to Hell, diving and playing with stingrays and I think it was better than the ship shore exc.
We reserved through the web: www.captainmarvins.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:46 AM

Snorkeling at the Coral Gardens and going to Stingray City is just about the most exhilirating excursion in the Caribbean, IMO.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
P_M

Another vote for stingrays, that was the highlight of our trip. Unforgettable!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:26 PM

Snorkeling with stingrays/Capt Marvins.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:02 AM

I agree with the others. The Stingrays are great, but dont get your hopes up at the turtle city or hell stops.
If they're include in you package, they're OK, but the stop in hell is kind of a joke. It's nothing more than a gift shop and a post office in front of some strange looking rock formations. Its fun to get a postcard and mail it to friends back home proving you were in "hell", but dont expect much.
There are also lots of places to eat and shop as you get off the tenders in the downtown district.
By the way, I'm assuming that you mean Grand Cayman Island only, as that is where most of the ships stop. Your post lists "islandS".
Have fun, it's a great stop. If you snorkle or SCUBA dive it also has some of the best coral formations and diving anywhere in the caribbean.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM

We're planning to rent a car and spending some quality beach time at Rum Point. If you check the Grand Cayman forum on the cruisecritic.com boards, Rum Point comes highly recommended.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Hell is a huge waste of time. I don't recommend it at all but if you choose to go, plan for about 15 minutes maximum. It's a tourist trap, nothing more. I agree that Stingray City is a great choice, but for those who don't want to get on another boat consider the Turtle Farm. The new facility is open and is a great improvement. This turtle farm is the only of its kind anywhere in the world. You can do the ship tour or just hire a taxi at the cruise port. While I haven't done a taxi from downtown to the Turtle farm, it's not more than about a 20 minute ride.