Belize Shore Excursions

Search

Belize Shore Excursions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize Shore Excursions

Traveling on Carnival Legend on June 8. Has anyone done the River Wallace/Altun Ha excursion? Wondering what the boats were like and if you get a guided tour at the ruins or explore on your own. Also how long are you at the ruins?
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Tagging on to your post as I was going to ask the same question.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Haven't done that excursion but have been to Belize 5-6 times. First two times we tendered to dock opposite hotel! Used hotel's pool both times. Went to Caye Caulker via water taxi for snorkling that was lousy! It rained once so only stayed in the port. But last time there went cave tubing with Reggie and it was FANTASTIC!!! Same caves as ship's tour but half the price and 8 people instead of 40!(two were girls friends of driver and guide!) Next time there will not hesitate to do this tour again!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM

We went to the Altun Ha ruins by bus, but the tour at the ruins is the same.
The tour was guided and lasted about 2 hours. We got to climb on the ruins, explore on our own for a while and the opportunity to take lots of pictures.
I was fascinated by the whole experience, my girlfriend- not so much. It was well worth the time and effort.
Our friends who were travelling with us took the river boats and loved it. Only drawback they said was the boat has no roof. We travelled in Sept 07 and it was very hot that day and not a cloud in the sky. (SPF 100!!)
Have fun!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dad

Cave Tubing is a must in Belize. We were there with the Carnival Legend in January 08 and I would do the Cave Tubing again no question. By it online before you sail and not with the cruise line and you will save. Compare now and you will see what I mean.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM

We did the Lamanai River Excursion @ 3 years ago with RCCL and loved it. Tour included a guide on the boat and through the ruins and also lunch. Don't know if Carnival offers it and I'm not sure I'd book it on my own..it's a long day and I'd worry getting back in time! Altun/Ha may be closr.
Dad-How did you like the Legend? Who did you book with for the tubing? Do you recall a minimum age?
We're thinking of the Legnd for '09.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM

I took the River Wallace/Altun Ha excursion 2 1/2 years ago thru Carnival. It was probably the best excursion I've ever been on out of 8 cruises to the caribbean. The bus trip to Altun Ha gave us a view of the countryside. We had an informative guide who explained Mayan customs to us. The river boat ride was refreshing. Part of the time the boat goes slowly - when animals on the shore are pointed out to us. We saw alligators, iguanas, birds, monkeys and a manatee. The rest of the time the boat goes pretty fast, so there's a breeze. Suggestion: bring your own beverage. They gave us water at the ruins and the next day I had an upset stomach.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM

I'm going soon and booked an independent shore excursion to Lamanai. Carnival doesn't offer it. It includes a bus ride to the dock, boat ride up the New River and a guided tour of the ruins. I'm risking it because it looks like a great trip and the fact that there won't be big cruise tours there makes it even more appealing.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM

bdjtbenson-
Curious about how the Lamanai excursion went. Did you get back in plenty of time to the ship?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I have a question about Altun Ha: if I find it's difficult to climb the ruins, is there a place to rest, or just to hang out till the group comes back? I want to see the ruins, but not sure I'll be able to climb them.