Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Beach days: Oranjestad, Willemstad, & George Town

Aug 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

DH & I are taking a Caribbean cruise in Nov. on Celebrity's Century. This will be our 1st trip alone in 12 yrs. We are interested in laying on the beach, relaxing & spending quality time together. We would prefer to find an all inclusive resort offering a day pass, if possible. If not, what would be the best beach for us to go to at each of these ports? We are interested in white sandy beaches, w/ walk-in water access (no big drop offs). Easy access to chairs w/ umbrellas, food, drink, & clean restrooms. We prefer a beach that isn't topless. A place to snorkel would be nice, but not a must. All suggestions appreciated.

BTW, I asked this question on the Caribbean board, but thought I may get more help from Caribbean cruisers (day guests).
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM

In Aruba try Palm beach. As I recall we went out a good 80 yds. and the water was about neck high. (I'm 5'9"). Its also very calm and clear. However it is topless. I know of no place in Aruba where toplessness is banned. This does not mean everyone id topless. Many are not in fact.
Aug 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM

In George Town, any hotel along Seven Mile Beach will permit access to the beach and will have the facilities you are looking for. The beach is wide open and seven miles long. The Governor has his beach house on this beach. When we were there several years ago, the house was unprotected. You could actually walk on the beach it is situated on.

Enjoy
Aug 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM

On Palm Beach there is a cute beach restaurant with bar called Moomba Beach that has beach chairs you can rent. Good reasonable food & drinks too. Between Holiday Inn and Marriott, which are family-oriented resorts, so I don't recall any toplessness. Snorkeling, not much to see.
Aug 20th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess there's no resorts offering day passes. I'll check out Moomba beach. Any particular hotel on 7 mile beach you would suggest? Thanks again
Aug 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM

The Divi resorts in Aruba are all inclusive. You would have to check with them on day passes.

I like Eagle Beach in Aruba.

The Westin Casuarina in GC has a nice quiet beach but I am not certain if they allow outside guests.

I did not go to the beach in Curacao, as I enjoyed wandering the town on my own.
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:34 AM

Hi. We were in Curacao last October and hit almost every beach along the west coast. Our favorite was Cas Abou, (aka Playa Abou)about a 45 minute drive from Willemstad. Excellent for snorkeling, has shaded spots and lounge chairs for rent, a snack bar serving food and drinks and clean bathrooms with showers. It costs about $5 per car to get in. Another good spot is the Seaquarium Beach, about 10 minutes south of Willemstad. It's more crowded and more "resorty", but has clear water good for snorkeling, lots of lounge chairs and several full bars and restaurants. Have fun!