Search

Barbados Sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
bc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados Sightseeing

We will only be on Barbados for one day during a cruise. I have been there a couple of times before but both times on ship excursions. This time we would like to see something that is called "Sam Lord's Castle" or something like that. We also would like to go to a beach in that area. Has anyone ever heard of that? It looks really interesting on barbados.org, but I can't really find any reviews of it. Would it be relatively easy to hire a driver to take us there? Then easy to get to a beach, then get a cab back to the ship? I am so hesitant a venturing far from the ship and finding that we are stranded somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Sam Lord's Castle is not on the side of the island with good beaches. On that side of the island, the charm is that the waves wash up on the rocks. Beaches on the other side -- where are you coming into port? (I don't know cruise ship ports, but we have vacationed there by flying in.)
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM
bc
Original Poster

I have since learned that Sam Lord's Castle is closed, so we don't have to worry about that anymore. We will be docking in Bridgetown, which is southwest. Are you aware of any good tours and beaches. We would like to spend a couple of hours sightseeing and a couple of hours at the beach. We have been to Harrison's Cave before. We have seen mention of "George Washington House", a rum distillery, a plantation house, and a mahogany factory. Have you been to any of these? Any tips will be welcome.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Several years ago we used Boyce Tours (http://boycestours.com/) for our day in Barbados. We looked at the standard offerings and then organized a customized, private tour based on our own interests. Our guide, Jimmie, was terrific and we had a wonderful day in Barbados.

We stopped at several beaches that we selected for the scenery rather than for swimming, so I can't recommend any swimming beaches. If you haven't already done so, check the Barbados board on the Cruise Critic website - you'll find lots of information there.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:35 AM

We went to a wonderful beach while in Barbados close enough to the cruise ship docks. It was I believe Paynes Beach. It is where the hotel Sandy Lane resort is located. You can walk for miles, and there is a bar where you can have drinks or lunch. Taxis are plentiful and will get you back to the dock on time.