Search

Nassau Beaches Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nassau Beaches Help!

I'm trying a new message title:

I just got back from a 2 day trip on the Imperial Majesty boat the Royal Empress to Nassau. We were told that the beaches such as Cable Beach and others had no public access and that only hotels lined all the beaches on both Paradise and New Providence and that we would be kicked off. They also added that there had been rapes and that the best bet would be to go to their island excursion to Blue Lagoon. What a dissapointment that was being from South Florida. Nice hammocks and picnic tables but the lagoon and its dark sand was not what I expected being in the Bahamas. I felt very taken by what appeared to be a tourist trap. Could anyone give the real situation on local beaches and are they all just rocks as the cruise guide told us. Are there good places to snorkel and beach with public access. Thank you for you input.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM

Your were misinformed by the cruiseline who is hawking outfits who give them a kickback. ALL BEACHES IN THE BAHAMAS ARE PUBLIC, and you can access all of them, at some point. Cable Beach Hotels allow you to use their facilities at NO CHARGE, (they expect you to have lunch or drink when you use there facilities). Atlantis beach can be access by a public pathway next to the Sheraton. Lighthouse Beach is public, and so is any other strip of beach you'd like to stroll.

Bahama beaches are some of the most pristine, powder like beaches in the world. They are not rocky, sandy or anything else. Pure powder. Cabbage Beach (near Atlantis) was named one of the 10 most best in the world.
What a shame you missed them.

There was a late nite "date rape" this past spring break. Pity it happened, but there is no reason for you to be alarmed.

Blue Lagoon is a rip off. Man-made lagoons, over commercialized venues, and overpriced bar, grill and souveniers as well as costly water sports.
Too bad Imperial Majesty doesn't care that their passengers have a good time, only that they get $$$ for tours.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Tamara for replying! I have an opportunity to go back to Nassau within the next month. Based on your information I will go to the local beaches and look forward to giving the Bahamas/Nassau another try. It was a short trip and we did not want to venture out on our own based on what the cruise guide told us during their "informational" group session. I suppose they capitalize on the fact that the passengers are only in port for one day and want to make the best of it. As I said before I would not recommend the Blue Lagoon Excursion. Thnak you
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:08 AM

I have limited time in Nassau 8 to 2 pm which beach is best from cruise dock just looking for good chair and bar to spend day
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Message: linkmail; sorry to hear about your disappointment. Next time, grab a cab or jitney, and visit Old Faort Beach on New Providence. It has snow white sand and multi-colored waters from blue-green to emerald. It's not developed like the other beaches and is located at the extreme western tip of New Providence. I thought there was public access to Cable Beach, unless they changed the arrangements. Cabbage Beach has public access, at least it used to. But, Cabbage is crowded with sunbathers around the hotels. If you go to Cabbage Beach's NW arm that branches off, you'll find seclusion with 2 miles of sandy beach, coconut palms, sea grapes and caribbean pines. But, it's a good walk. I guess one musn't listen to the cruise ship personnel. Robert

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your all your input, I'm looking forward to my next visit to Nassau. I also wanted to correct the name of the Boat which is Regal Empress not Royal, for those doing a search on the boat name.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:48 AM

To the OP: "lovebeach" is yet another name for Harald the Bahamian psychopath on this forum. All he does is trash the Bahamas for his own deluded reasons. Pay him no mind.