general pricing question

Feb 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

general pricing question

i haven't cruised since i was a kid so i know nothing. have figured out that if you book a year in advance you get a significant discount. at what point do the prices go up?
Feb 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Cruise companies vary in the pricing policies. Some offer the best deals when itineraries are first made available. Others offer the best deals much later when they determine that they cannot fill particular cruises. I think your best best is to decide what lines you're interested in and find a cruise agent that specializes in those lines. Alternatively, you can always look at a site like vacationstogo or a discount company such as COSTCO.
Feb 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM

"Dreps" is right. Usually the best time to book is as far out as possible, knowing where and when you want to go. An experienced professional cruise agent will be a big help to you. The cruise agent will also be your guide for your first and your 20th cruise. S/he costs you nothing and frequently can get you a better rate based upon the agency productivily.

Feb 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks anne and dreps. i'll start looking for an agent who specializes in cruises. i normally plan my trip and ask my reg. agent to match or better prices i've found. she always does.
i do have an idea where we want to go - start san juan. go to abc's or even veneuela and hit several of the more southern islands in between, perhaps 10 days.
not sure which line will suit us best. there should be a cruising profile quiz for newbies to figure out which line.
Feb 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Hi Virginia, I am sure your agent is well qualified to help you. She also knows your budget so she will not direct you to something unsuitable for you. I am excited for you!