Awesome Navigator...

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Navigator...

Just got back from a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise--I took my 9 and 12 year olds with me. I can't say enough great things about RCL and the Navigator of the Seas!

The ship was spotless and beautiful, the crew was so friendly, the activities and shows were a blast and the food was excellent. The ports of call were all fun in their own way--highly recommend Capt. Marvin's stingray excursion in Grand Cayman.

On a scale of 1-10, this trip was off the charts...

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:11 PM

I agree with you. We took our second trip w/Capt Marvin, they are great. The Navigator was 15% better than the Voyager, which was off the charts, too! We are trying the Mariner in January. Love those big babies!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Hi -- I am taking my kids, ages 6 and 11, on this cruise November 1 and I'd be interested to hear what shore excursions you did (in addition to the Stingray excursion) We probably will do them on our own rather than go through the cruise line but are wondering what's the best choice for kids in each port. What did your kids like the best? And if you went to Dunn's River Falls, do you think a six year old boy could climb them, with help? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:30 AM

onetuffgrrl- did you meet Alan the bartender? Love that man!

For the shore excursions, I would recommend Dunn's River if you have never been- kinda like seeing the Eiffel Tower... gotta see it once. There are stairs up the side that you can do if you aren't brave enough to climb the falls. I was not and after seeing people fall and slide back down, glad I did not go up the water. There are spots where you can get into the falls and take pictures like you actually climbed it. Dorky, but a lot safer.

One point- STRETCH YOUR CALVES BEFORE YOU GO! The steps or the falls give you quite a workout and I was sore for three days afterwards.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi all...

Let's see. To be completely honest, the stingrays were our only planned excursion. I had a brief moment of temptation to do the dolphin encounter, but could not live with myself afterwards, given that I am SURE that those dolphins would rather be free in the ocean rather than cooped up. So no dolphins for my family, out of principle.

We did not climb Dunn's River falls because I have metastatic breast cancer in my bones and though I am totally athletic, the thought of slipping and injuring myself made the idea not an option for me. There were young kids at Dunns River, so I think your 6 year old would be OK. I think there was ocean kayaking, which would also be a fun choice for your kids!

Labadee is a great beach, so the kids hung out at the water park (make sure to book that one early, it fills up.) Not much to do here but hang out and swim.

And on Cozumel, we took the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen where the shopping is far superior and way cheaper (sshhh, don't spread that around!) The snorkeling would be good here for your kids--the Nav had a few different excursions to Chakanaab, etc.

I didn't meet the bartender, but EVERYONE was so nice! It made me wonder if they removed part of their brains to work on board? They were just pleasant ALL THE TIME--what a delight it was to get such great service all the time!

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Hi, thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about Labadee as there doesn't seem to be much info on it. Isn't it RCL's private beach area? I thought we would just take the tender and go to the beach but is there something we need to sign up for? Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is a private island. It is basically a beach stop. There isn't tons to do there (other than rent jet skis, etc, and hang out and tan) so it is a relaxing day. I don't think you need to sign up for much in advance on Labadee.

They have a nice water park for kids, and they cook a huge beach barbeque which is awesome, and free.

Some people rented the floating mats for $10, which seemed like a good idea.

Other than that, hang on the beach and take a little time to visit the craft market. I bought two amazing paintings there for super cheap.