Final Niagara Falls questions

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Niagara Falls questions

We will be leaving in three days to go to Niagara Falls. I have talked to our family members (my two dd's 11 and 8, my sister and her two ds 15 and 9)to get their input on activities so that the vacation will be as much fun as possible for everyone going. We have two full days (arriving Wednesday evening and leaving Friday late afternoon/evening)and here is our plan.

Thursday: Go to Maid of the Mist first and then White Water Walk. Eat lunch and then go to Ripley's. Chill out at the hotel pool (Sheraton on the Falls). Eat dinner at Hard Rock and then go to Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds when the falls are lit up at night.
Friday: Kids want to go to new waterpark by our hotel.

My questions:

1.Is the Cave of the Winds worth the drive (compared to JBTF) and would you recommend seeing the Cave or JBTF at night?
2.From Maid of the Mist, can we walk to WWW or should we use the People Mover?
3. Can we walk to the Maid of the Mist and Journey Behind the Falls from our hotel?

Any comments on the logistics of this schedule would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Thursday: Go to Maid of the Mist first and then White Water Walk. Eat lunch and then go to Ripley's. Chill out at the hotel pool (Sheraton on the Falls). Eat dinner at Hard Rock and then go to Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds when the falls are lit up at night.
Friday: Kids want to go to new waterpark by our hotel.

This is a good plan. I love the Hard Rock. I have a cool picture of the guitar sign all lit up at night.

My questions:

1.Is the Cave of the Winds worth the drive (compared to JBTF) and would you recommend seeing the Cave or JBTF at night?

The Cave of the Winds is worth the drive but keep in mind you will be able to walk to the Cave via the Rainbow Bridge. Just make sure you bring all your ID documents.
I don't think the Cave tour will be operating late enough in the evening that you would see the falls lit up. They don't light them until it is dark. I have not done JBTF at night but I think it would be your better night tour .
2.From Maid of the Mist, can we walk to WWW or should we use the People Mover?

You would want to use the people mover. It would be a very long walk.

3. Can we walk to the Maid of the Mist and Journey Behind the Falls from our hotel?

Yes. Use the incline railway located in front of the Marriott. Your hotel staff will point you in the right direction.

You're on the right track Ashley24.
Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I just want to add so that you are prepared. Though you can have the perfect itinerary, you could be disappointed. The line up for the Maid of the Mist is usually so long you could spend well over an hour just in line! Same for "under the falls".

We spent more time in the people mover busses than doing or seeing anything.

It is built up like a mini disney world or archade centre now, and there are bumper cars, and rides, and games, etc. everywhere but they are all so expensive! We found we tempted the kids by saying "let's go look at this ride" and then discouraged them when we found out it would be about $8 each for a three minute ride.

Will you be doing Marineland? I didn't find the crowd that bad there. They have shows on with the seals and dolphins and if you plan to go in to the seating area 10 min. prior to the set time you should see lots of nice shows and there are rides in the park if the kids like rides.

I enjoyed our time at Marineland more than finding our way through the crowds by the falls.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM

It sounds like a good plan. I don't know if JbtF runs at night either. You might call them ahead of time and ask how late they operate. If you don't call, make an alternate nighttime plan - maybe chill out at the pool after dinner and do JbtF (or CotW) after lunch. Both MotM and JbtF will get you wet - the kids will love that part.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

The kids decided they would rather do the waterpark by our hotel then go to Marineland. We are used to waits as we usually go to Cedar Point every year! I will let the kids know to expect long waits so they are not disappointed when they see lots of people. I will call regarding the nighttime viewing of the JBTF.
Sounds like the forecast is going to be hot so getting wet will be great! I am hoping since we are not going on the weekend that the crowds will not be at their worst. However, a few 30-60 minute waits are ok with me. We will get to Maid of the Mist as early as possible.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Sounds like a good plan! As with any trip, make plans, think of some alternatives to those plans, and just relax and enjoy regardless. And at Niagara Falls, people watching is a lot of fun, so that's a good way to spend your wait times.

Also, if you have folks back at home, check out the live webcam online. My nieces loved it when they saw me waving to them during my last trip and talked to me on the cell phone at the same time.