Australia/New Zealand

Search

Australia/New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia/New Zealand

Looking to see New Zealand and Australia. Princess Cruise has a trip in Jan 2010. Fly to Auckland. We may stay one week pre-cruise to explore the area. The cruise then lasts 12 days ending in Sydney where again we may stay one week to view the areas.
Any other suggestions that may help.? We have approximately one month for the holiday.
As we are early in the planning stages your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I've done these cruises the last two years. Its a fantastic destination, with plenty to see and do.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM

There is a lot to see with this itinerary. For a city its size, Auckland doesn't have a large number of tourist attractions, but it is a pleasant place. The harbor is picturesque. In New Zealand, take the shore excursion to Rotorua to experience Maori culture. In Wellington, don't miss the gardens. Christchurch was our favorite stop. You can kayak on the Avon and see lots of gardens. In Dunedin, we liked the tour of Cadbury Chocolates. Hopefully, you will have sunny day at Milford Sound. You can't really experience New Zealand with just a cruise, but you can certainly get a taste. If you stop in Tasmania, try to get a shore excursion to Mt. Field National Park. Lots of wildlife. You won't have enough time in Melbourne to see even half of this great city, but if you like nature, go to the penguin viewing. In Sydney, we really enjoyed the zoo, opera house, and art gallery. It is truly a cosmopolitan city. Have fun!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

In order to experience more of New Zealand we would like to spend a week pre-cruise. Had been planning to fly into Auckland and stay there the week but could consider flying elsewhere in New Zealand making our way North prior to the cruise. Suggestions?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM

I don't know what your budget is like, but Regent has a fairly amazing deal for their cruise in November 2009. (We took a similar cruise on Regent a few years ago, and it was terrific.) Because of the economy, the cruise is a better deal now. It is all inclusive (including all drinks--both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and Regent is now offering
"free" shore excursions on their all-suite all-balcony Mariner. In addition, Coach air is included, and if you want to upgrade to Business Class air for the long plane trip, it's $999 each way extra. The published fares begin at $7295 for the 14-day cruise, though I know you can get at least 5% off that fare through a good TA.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM

You could try to get a flight to Christchurch and have a look arouns the south island of NZ. You would then have to fly or ferry to the South Island to meet your cruise. The south island of NZ is really spectacular. There is a train trip from Christchurch to Greymouth through the mountains that is really beautiful. I think it is called the Tranz Alpine. You could do it return on the same day or Greymouth is not too far from where the ferry leaves(sorry can't remember exactly how far) to go to the North Island.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM

In my opinion a "tour" to Rotorua is not the way to go. It is far superior to drive yourself. Very simple and offers you way more touring options, at a fraction of the cost. My recent car rental was $45 with less than $20 gas.

As another option, Regent is supposed to be a very nice cruiseline. But I see no advantage with included tours, since this is an area with many touring options to consider. I wouldn't want my port times chosen for me. At that price, they should include the drinks. I paid $4200 for 2 people, on a special in January, 2 weeks round trip out of Sydney, $200 ship credit, air from JFK.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM

We went to a couple of places on the North Island usually not part of a cruise itinerary that we enjoyed. Either would be a great place to spend a week pre-cruise. One is the Bay of Islands area in the extreme north. Very scenic with lots of outdoor activities. The other is the Coromondal Peninsula, located on the east coast north of Rotorua. This had great beaches and hiking opportunities.
Also, if you have the knowledge and experience, I would agree that doing your own thing at port stops is preferable. Unfortunately many aren't confident in a foreign country even when English is spoken, know directions to places, or aware of just what to see. On the Rotorua shore excursion, for example, we stopped at the arena where all the types of sheep were displayed, something we would not have known about. You need to decide if you have the knowledge and initiative to replace shore excursions with your own agenda.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Plans changed somewhat. Have booked end of Jan for one week in Sydney. Then 14 day cruise with Holland America from Sydney to Auckland followed by a 5 day stay in Auckland.
Suggestions for tours and accommodations welcome.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM

We've lost count of the times that we've visited New Zealand, must be more than fifteen. I did work for an airline so it didn't cost us much at all. Our favourite places were The Bay of Islands in the north and Queenstown in the south. Both have plenty of things to see and do together with other interesting places nearby.