Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Atlantis Submarine in Aruba or other excursion?

Mar 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
cd
Original Poster

We will be in Aruba for one day and are interested in taking the
Atlantis Submarine shore excursion. Has anyone done this and what did you think? Are there any other excursions that you enjoyed? What to do for a day?
Mar 14th, 2009, 07:53 AM

We did a snorkeling excursion that included a harbor tour, snorkel stops at a coral reef and a ship wreck, then rum punch on the way back in. Very nice.
Mar 14th, 2009, 08:05 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks abram. What was the name of your tour? Did you take it thru your ship?
Mar 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM

We rented a "Jeep" with some friends. We were able to drive up the island to the lighthouse and then down the east coast - where there is no road. One of our friends wanted to snorkel and we stopped at a beach for a while. Over all it was very pleasant. The Eastern side of Aruba is rather wild but interesting and doing it off road was fun - and easy. Otherwise we didn't find Aruba interesting. The main port was sort of plastic and artificial.
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Although it is rare for us, we did take the ship's excursion this time. I don't remember the specific name of the tour, but we were on Princess, if that helps.

You'll also find lots of information on the Ports of Call boards at www.cruisecritic.com.
Mar 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM
cd
Original Poster

Aristotle, I have read that there are no road signs in Aruba so that driving is difficult, did you find this to be true?

abram, I have been to Cruise Critic and find it helpful. There just does seem to be a whole lot to do in Aruba.
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM

We have done the Atlantis submarine in Aruba. We thought after doing alot of snorkelling and 1 diving try in Grand Cayman it would be fun to go deeper.

It was interesting, but the deeper you go, the grayer and sparser it gets.

Fun to do once.
Mar 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks TPAYT, those were my thoughts, not enought light that deep to see much. Thanks

abram, I meant to say, "here just does NOT seem to be a whole lot to do in Aruba"
Apr 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM

The Atlantis submarine is the worst waste of money ever. Did it, boring, not worth the price, and definitely not the thing to do if in Aruba. Skip it.
Apr 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM

cd: missed your question before, but, no I had no trouble with finding my way. It really is tough getting lost. There is one main highway up the west edge of the island and then you off road. It is true that there are few directional signs, but then there are few roads. You do need a decent map - even one from the ship is OK - to generally orient yourself. We were unconcerned as we were staying at Aruba overnight.
Apr 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks all, just an update. We returned last night from a great cruise trip. In Aruba, we took a Land and Sea See. We visited the Natural Bridge (the small one as the large one is no longer there, the lighthouse, and both sides of the Island. What we enjoyed the most was not the Atlantis Sub but the one that is five feet submerged. We traveled over a sunken German warship and found it very interesting.