American Cruise Line

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:27 AM
Karen

American Cruise Line

I'd love to hear from anyone who has sailed with this cruise line. Thanks.

Jan 21st, 2003, 11:09 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Karen,

I have not sailed with them but know quite a few people that have. Excellent historical cruise experience. Two nice new ships with good food and excellent service. Best to choose a balcony if it is within your budget. I have looked at both their American Eagle and Glory. Very comfortable staterooms. The regular cabins have large picture windows that open.

Paul

Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:47 AM
Karen

Paul,thank you for the response. I think this is the type of small ship cruising that we would enjoy. The only thing that concerned me a little bit was that our insurance through Access America would not cover us in the case of bankruptcy with the exception of $50.00. However, apparently they are building a third ship and according to the reservationist bookings are excellent.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:28 AM
Paul Therault

Yes, Access America does not cover that line but they have a strange list. American is a family owned company with all new ships. They are a member of CLIA and ASTA. Access America covers Delta Queen that just came out of bankruptcy and American Canadian which, I believe can not hold a candle to American. In any event the company is bonded through the Maritime Commission and if there is a problem (I seriously doubt it) you will get most of your money back.

Enjoy your cruise.

Paul

Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:31 PM
Karen

Thanks again, Paul. I don't anticipate a problem, but I just thought it odd that Access America would not cover them.

Jan 24th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Paul Therault

I do not think Access America pays attention to their list. When they refused to cover Royal Olympic they never bothered to explore that the backers of the cruiseline had more money than the King of Siam. Also, they covered Premier even after they purchased all the old Dolphin ships that needed millions of dollars to being up to code and were falling apart. It was easy to figure out the principals were ready to bankrupt and run away with the money.

Paul

Jan 25th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Karen

Paul, thanks for your input. Very interesting observation.