San Juan - airport/hotel/seaport

Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:38 AM
JustMe

San Juan - airport/hotel/seaport

Hi there,
I'd be very grateful for an advice from a savvy traveller - we are arriving to San Juan late in the evening, and sailing the next day. What means of transportation should I use? Are the cab fares expensive? What hotel would you recommend?
Thank you.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:16 AM
M.B.

What cruise ship? There are 2 cruise ship docks in San Juan. I would find out which dock you will be embarking.
If the dock is the "Downtown" dock I would book a hotel near that dock....but if it's the other dock then I would book there. Might make a huge difference. I've flown in and out of San Juan many times.....it's a most delightful city. We usually stay a the
Wyndam Old San Juan Hotel before our cruises! Have a great voyage!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:24 AM
Peter

My advice would be to use Priceline and bid on the "resort class" which includes the Condado Plaza. We did this in November and the hotel is definitely five star. The latest price I've seen for January was $82 and that person accepted the counteroffer instead of offering a little less.

The taxi to the hotel will be about $15 if you use the taxi stand in front of the airport - its government controlled and will write the price on a form which you give to the driver so he won't charge you more. It'll be about the same price from the hotel to the Old San Juan terminal if thats where your ship leaves from.

Jan 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Bob

That would be a great deal if you were going to be there long enough to enjoy it, but if you're getting in late and sailing the next day, I'd pick something cheap near the docks.

Jan 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Peter

Bob - what would you recommend thats cheaper than $82 a night including their 12% tax?

Jan 25th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Dr_mypka

Thank you so much!

Jan 25th, 2003, 06:43 AM
JustMe

We will sail on Constellation (celebrity cruises). I did not find the map of San Juan port yet, and having difficulties to determine the right area to book a hotel. A good advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 25th, 2003, 07:44 AM
John

Celebrity docks across the harbor from the other docks, not walkable from any hotels.

Cabs are cheap and the best way to get around. The rates from the airport are set - $15 or $20 as I recall.

The Wyndham Old San Juan is very popular, walkable from the old town (good for the morning before your cruise) and quite comfortable. You can walk a block or so from the hotel to the free old town shuttle bus, which allows drop-off jump-on loops through the old town. When the time comes to go to the ship, and if you haven't booked the Celebrity shuttle, you can easily find other passengers in the hotel lobby to split a cab - it's a 10 min. ride to the Pan American dock.

Jan 25th, 2003, 08:59 AM
JustMe

Thank you, John!