Alaska inner passage

Search

Alaska inner passage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska inner passage

Planning a trip Aug.21 on HAL. Can I reasonably count on pleasant weather or is this a less deisrable time for this area. Also, is the inner passage worthwhile? Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:38 AM

It is the Inside Passage. No guarantees on weather, you are best to be prepared for it all, meaning a wide range of mix and match. Rain gear necessary as well as the knit hats and gloves.

WHAT cruise are you taking??? Round trip and one way Vancouvers superior to round trip Seattle due to more outside passage sailing.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Already booked Holland American from Seattle. Hope it wasn't a mistake. How cold can it get. Leaving Aug. 21.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:33 AM

If you want the Inside Passage, this isn't the best cruise for it. You are 2 full days of open ocean sailing.
As mentioned- no predictions on weather, a wide range is possible, but you WILL need the list I made above.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Is this the Alaskan Explorer round-trip from Seattle? I took this cruise on the Amsterdam two summers ago (last week in July) and loved it. Weather is definitely unpredictable, but the Inside Passage has some incredible scenery. Glacier Bay was one of the highlights--yes, it was cold on deck, but worth it. The staff served us hot pea soup ! Bring a winter jacket.
In Juneau, we had a rafting excursion booked on the Mendenhall River--it rained and the water was freezing--fun, though, in a way. Others in our group had booked a helicopter tour and weren't able to take it due to the weather.

I say just relax and enjoy your cruise. For us, even the sail through Puget Sound was a treat--it's lovely!
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM

August is a good month to go to Alaska. The Inside Passage is beautiful and resembles the fjords of Norway. The College Fjord is spectacular! Bring warm weather clothes and cool weather clothes with good walking shoes and closed shoes. People who live in the Northwest dress in layers because it can be cool and rainy and then, warm and sunny - it is very helpful to have a waterproof jacket, a warm sweater and a tee shirt with jeans and closed shoes (to keep your feet dry). I lived in Fairbanks for a summer and we wore shorts some days and jeans other days.

In the Northwest and Alaska, there are 2 seasons: rainy/snowy season and August.

Best Regards,
Julia