Xtabi? Banana Shout?

Aug 7th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Xtabi? Banana Shout?

Message: I'm headed back to Negri and this time on a tighter budget. I stayed at Tensing Pen before and LOVED IT!!! But now am searching for the same amenities (ocean side, swimming, beautiful, etc.) in a lower price. Want to go in September and after staying on both cliffs and beach, I want to go back to the cliffs. Ideas???? Thanks in advance.
Aug 7th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Not sure if Bannana Shout is open. I understood it had been recently sold or for sale, at least. I am sure someone will come through and update us on this. I would stay at Xtabi anyday!
Aug 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM

ReadytoGo17:
When did you stay at Tensing Pen? We've stayed there a couple of times, but not in the last 3 years. We LOVE the place, but swore I'd never stay there again because of the dogs they keep on the property...they slept all day and barked at anything that moved all night! I was exhausted from lack of sleep by the time I got home! Do they still have them? We stayed at Rockhouse our last 2 trips down...loved it, but miss Tensing Pen.
Aug 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I like Xtabi a lot. THey ahve cliffside cottages that cost the most $$ but also very nice rooms across the street (where there is a lovely pool) and rooms on the ocean side as well.
Aug 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Hi. We stayed at Xtabi about six months ago for a week, in one of the bungalos overlooking the ocean. They don't have TVs or phones, but if you're ok with that, you'll love the views, their restaurant and bar, and the quiet.

For the price it's a deal, and we'd definately go back again.
Aug 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Stayed at Tensing Pen earlier this year - it was awesome. The dogs were scary coming in, but no noise at all. If I had the $$ that's where I'd be. In Rock Cottage 2 for sure ;-)

I decided to go to Banana Shout - its $55 a night for a cottage on the water. I blew my budget on my big trip earlier this year so even Xtabi (which is more double that for the same thing) is a bit high for me.

I spoke to the owner who now lives in Florida and she and her husband are trying to sell the place. She seemed said the place is nice but not "fancy". I also emailed Xtabi who told me Banana Shout is a nice SMALL resort with no restaurant or similar amenities. Since I don't care about a restaurant, I decided to give Banana Shout a try. I figure I can always move to Xtabi or anywhere else if Banana Shout is a dump (oh, I hope not!). I will definitely write a trip report when I return.

Say a prayer for me that I made the right choice. And if anyone has been there and wants to warn me not to go, I still have 2-3 weeks to cancel

BTW, in my quest to find nice accomodations for a reasonable price, I met the owner of the "Treehouse" (beach hotel) online. She offered to let me stay there for 7 days with breakfast each day for $400 U.S. The catch is that I had to send her the money in the form of a Home Depot gift certificate to her home address BEFORE I left for my trip !!! Just thinking about that makes me chuckle!
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Banana Shout has its fans, it's not a dump. It is a bit further up hte cliffs though.

Xtabi has one cottage, with two floors (one room per floor) that's near the water and is much less than the ones hanging off the cliffside - $50 a night in off season, $65 in high.