Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

would you take provisions to Turks & Caicos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to be staying in a villa in August. Been reading about high food prices in the market there. Is it worth it to bring along staples - coffee/cereal/peanut butter, etc?
We're travelling light, so could bring a small suitcase with stuff. But is it worth dragging all that stuff down there?
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I had the same question about going to our villa in Montserrat. I would say that if you are going to pay for a checked bag anyway, and won't go over the weight limit, it would be worth bringing a few things. It wouldn't be worth, IMO, taking a suitcase you normally wouldn't have taken. If T & C is like Montserrat, the prices are extremely high - we brought wine, but took the PB out along with other things when they put us over the limit! Wished we had that peanut butter here! The owner of our villa actually brings meats in a cooler, but that would have been way too much for us!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM

This is the age old question which has no set answer.

From my point of view (and this comes after years of travelling sometimes bring food and sometimes not) it really isn't worth the hassel and the "savings" aren't that much. We stopped doing it.

For example, let's assume the food prices in the T&C are say 15% to 20 % higher than they are in your home town. Let's also assume your average weekly food budget back home is say $300. Than you'll be spending around $45 to $60 more than you normally would. If you figure your entire vacation is costing you say $3,000 then the difference you are paying for food amounts to only about 1.5% to 2% of your total vacation cost, certainly not much indeed. Even if you were to double that amount, you are still not talking about a lot of money.

Now this may sound a bit harsh but if an added $45 to $60 is enough to "break the bank" you probably shouldn't be making this trip.

I'm sure others will have different opinions.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
KVR

When we went back in 2006, we did bring an inflatable cooler with a case of beer and a carry-on full of snacks. That was before checked bag fees and liquid restrictions. It was a pain to carry all of that as carry-on luggage and go through 2 airport connections, but we did eat the stuff we brought for several lunches and snacks and drank all the beer wishing we'd brought more. Our hotel include an extended Continental breakfast. Dinners with transporation ran about $700 for 6 nights. We like AI's and would have preferred an AI hotel there. At that time, it wasn't feasible. If we ever decided to return, we would go AI. It's just so much easier.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that the prices are higher, but they have everything you could want and the bakery and deli are excellent. The only thing we brought was a baggie full of "Equal" envelopes for our coffee and cereal and found that we could have bought that there.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM

After traveling to T&C and other islands where we stayed in villas, I don't pack food to travel. I do like to pack my favorite spices -- lemon pepper, and others. Plus, I love Crystal Light and I can't always find that where we go so that comes with me and I leave whatever is left for the next guests.

But staples such as coffee and peanut butter are at the IGA and not worth the hassle, imho.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM

We debated bringing food and I'm so glad we did. We took a small soft sided cooler on the plane with 3 types of cheese and a pack of frozen filets from Costco. We are so glad we did because 2 filets here are $20 and we paid $27 for 5 - a good 4-5 meals. We are still eating the cheese. We also brought Peets coffee which is less than here. We also brought a few spices. Next time, I will bring some chicken also as we could have fit it in the cooler. We froze the meat in its original packing and wrapped it in newspaper and it was fine when we arrived. No problem leaving San Francisco or when we arrived. It has saved us a bunch and since we are ocean front it has been nice to eat in part of the time.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the comments - all! I think I may do the spice-coffee-splenda and a few snacks in the suiitcase...but buy the other stuff at the market.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

FYI - my travel agent had a great idea. She said use an old, ready to toss out suitcase or a disposable cooler (if you're bringing meats, etc). fill it with supplies. then leave it when you're done. Won't have to pay extra luggage fee going home.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM

I would take a cooler that can be used again if you are leaving it behind. I would never take something that large that will go to trash - you're on an island where trash is a huge problem. Please reconsider taking something to leave behind unless it can be used by others.