Winter Vacation Ideas

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Vacation Ideas

We have a week over Christmas to travel and we have no idea where to go. No one really wants a total beach vacation because we thought it would be a little too boring but maybe you guys have ideas for a Caribbean destination that also has activities.

We are an older family, kids ages 23, 21, and 16, and do not want to be bothered by little kids and fighting for beach chairs everyday. Luxury is also a must.

We've been to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, were supposed to go to The Cayman Islands last year and stay at The Ritz, but because of the hurricanes that didn't happen. We don't know why we can't think of anywhere to go, there are so many fabulous places in the world to see. HELP!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM

I would recommend a couple of places.

St. Lucia- Ladera
Costa Rica- Four Seasons
Nicaragua- Morgan's Rock
St. John- Caneel Bay

Also there is Little Dix Bay, Four Seasons Nevis, or Kura Hulanda Curacao.

Just some ideas!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Why not rent a villa on St. John. There are some beautiful ones with pools, hot tubs and even a few on the beach. Because of the national park, there are several hiking options and ruins to explore. There is shopping or you can take a ferry/rent a boat and go to St. Thomas or the British islands for shopping. There are organized boat trips such as New Horizon or Stormy Petrel for snorkeling and or exploring. There are all the beaches to explore and snorkel, boat rentals, kayak rentals, fishing trips. You can hire a chef to prepare meals for you. The list goes on.
Or Costa Rica - hiking,kayaking,jet skiing, parks,wildlife,volcanoes, zip lines, horseback riding, waterfalls,snorkeling,surfing . . .and all at great prices!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:26 PM

i would agree with st.john usvi...think the "kids" would enjoy this island.lots of snorkling,kayaking,hiking etc. .. also just enought shopping to keep some happy.plus a nice, safe "nightlife" that appeals to your age group FYI.. the 16yr old, more than likely he/she would be served alcohol at many bars. this is a stunning island. caneel would be a good choice for beauty & relaxing the beaches(7) at this resort are not crowded and are amazing! be aware there are no tv's at this resort/this is not issue for everyone but ...we have always rented a villa/some beautiful/very lovely places. all comforts of home or more. for dec., you would need to jump on it ASAP/booking or booked for the high season!!we've rented from the same company for the past 10 yrs. check site www.caribbeanvilla.com..some of the best villas on island/great staff and can help with all info you need/car rentals/stock villa w/food/drink for arrival etc. good luck !!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM

How about the BVI's? Sail them or pick a resort(Little Dix, Peter Island Resort, Long Bay Beach Hotel) and take several day trips for fun. Have fun planning, however, you do not have much time left for Christmas time frame.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM

If I was able to get away for a week over Christmas, I would go to Antigua. You can spend some time relaxing, but there are many things to do there. It's rich in history. At one point, it was probably the most important port in the Caribbean
With very characteristic landscaping, 365 beaches, sparkling blue waters, and colorful bougainvillea, it's worth a visit.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I would suggest that you research a bit regarding airfaires and schedules.This might help you narrow your decison a bit.
I am often limited to popular times and have found out that Christmas holiday seats tend to be pricey and limited even at high fares.
My older teens particularly liked Curacao Marriott though I prefer longer stretches of beach. I do agree with them that the pool scene was very lovely, food was Marriott-style good, beach was pretty and we had very nice rooms- one oceanfront and one oceanview. Clean and pleasant. We did have to buy bottled water as there were water problems when we were there.
Kids have also been to Puerto Rico and one to dive in Cayman. All stays have been at larger resorts due to price for nice rooms etc. I think they might also like Jamaica though I have not been there for a while and would not be sure which place to recommend for "old kids."
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM
bwhewitt

If you are still around, I'm wondering what you chose?

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Why not consider Cayman this year ?

The Ritz will not open by Xmas (they will open shortly after, just not for Xmas/New Year), but there are other options.

Why not consider a beachfront condo or villa, that would strike me as ideal for a family of five with three adult kids.

Try www.caymanvillas.com or www.caymanvacations.com for ideas.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

We're going to Puerto Vallerta, not sure of the hotel that was decided though.