Search

Four Seasons or Caneel Bay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Seasons or Caneel Bay?

Help!

Trying to decide between the Four Seasons Nevis and Caneel Bay St. John for my honeymoon August 1-8, 2004.

Snorkeling/diving is very important to me, as is lush grounds and nature. I also like to do day trips, take in another isand, etc.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light or compare the two through past experiences!

-b
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I have been to both and diving and snorkeling are MUCH better in the BVI's/USVI's.

Lots more different day trip possibilities too. (Most also with good diving/snorkeling.)
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:34 AM
bosco

Definitely St. John. Better known for its beaches, water activities and hiking (nature). You can also take day trips to St. Thomas in the USVI or Virgin Gorda in the British BVI (among others). If you are going for your honeymoon in August, Caneel Bay may have many children on vacation as well. Be sure to call the resort and ask for a location away from the hustle and bustle of families with children. Much quieter. You could also consider renting a villa in St. John for more privacy.

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Sunnyboy

I've been to both places. Both the 4S and CB are excellent resorts. 4S/Nevis, in general is lusher than CB/STJ but STJ is fairly lush in its own right. If, however, great snorkling and diving are important to you then CB is the better choice. Quite franky, the snorkling on Nevis and the neighboring island of St. Kitts is average at best and there are only a few good dive sites in the area. At CB there's very good to excellent snorkling directly off the beaches at the resort and on other parts of the island. You are also only a short boat ride away from literally hundreds of world class snorkling and dive sites. As for day trips, both islands offer interesting opportunities but here again CB gets the nod. You can easily get to most of the USVI's or BVI's (you'll need a Passport or raised seal birth certificate & Government issued I.D. to enter the BVI's) by boat from St. John. Whereas from Nevis the only nearby island you can visit by scheduled the ferry is St. Kitts. If you want to visit any other island you have to fly or charter a boat but you should know the distances are a little far for a meaningful one day trip. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I agree with sunnyboy...I think Caneel Bay is the way to go...I just posted to someone else about this resort as well...the downside is that the first time that I went there, I was 12..but the good news is that I was the only child there over spring break.

the food is amazing and the people are wonderful without being too obtrusive. good luck and have so much fun....there is nothing like relaxing after the wedding!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 03:17 PM

I don't think Caneel Bay can compare in terms of rooms. There are no tvs in the Caneel Bay rooms, from what I hear.

Nevis is gorgeous. The FS provided a perfect honeymoon spot for us. I dream daily about going back. the rooms and bathrooms are fantastic.

We loved the diving. St. Bart's is close by Nevis, as is St. Kitt's, which provides additional hiking/nature opportunities.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Been to both and though they each have their best features, you can get a fabulous room anywhere in the world. You cannot however find fabulous beaches, snorkeling, and cruise in the Sir Francis Drake Channel anywhere but the Virgin Islands. I would suggest a split trip between Caneel and Little Dix Bay. That way you get the best of two great islands. Nevis is very nice too, but save it for your 5th or 10th.
That's what we did. Good luck and congrads!!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

The plan now is 4 nights Caneel, 4 nights Little Dix Bay. I'm so excited!

I've heard the resorts now offer TV or DVD players to guests upon request...is this true?

Also, what are the best snorkeling beaches at Caneel? I plan to dive the Rhone when in Virgin Gorda, are there any dives i shouldn't miss on St. Johns as well?

Lastly, is luxurylink.com reputable?

Thanks again,

-B
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 03:16 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip. I, too am a Caneel lover and plan my sixth return this November and will be making my first trip to St. Kitt's next March. Hope you will give a trip report with your thoughts on both. Much happiness to you both.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Caneel has recently upgraded many of their units to include A/C and some other amenities. Check with them directly for details on your room.
www.caneelbay.com
While the beaches are very nice at Caneel and are mostly used by the hotel guests, you will find plenty of other places to snorkel. Make sure to snorkel the underwater trail at Trunk bay. Get out and see the island, don't spend all your time at the resort! Congrats!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM

You're going to LOVE your split trip.
I'm very jealous. Suggest that while at Caneel you request a room on Scotts Beach. That will assure you ground floor and DIRECTLY on the beach. You wake up in the morning and see the most beautiful blue water just begging you to dive in! Also you'll love the cruise to Virgin Gorda. Once again, congrads!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I'll be sure to take advantage of your suggestions!

At Caneel, I am considering a garden tennis room. Are these OK? Also, I found a package on luxurylink.com that promises a double upgrade to a beachfront unit. I'm considering doing this but never used luxury link before. Are they reputable?

-s