Windy in Aruba???

Nov 26th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Susan

Windy in Aruba???

We will be in Aruba over the Christams season. I have just read that the winds in Aruba
are incessant. Is that accurate? I hate
wind & the thought of spending a 'beach
holiday' in a place where the winds never let up
is not my idea of a good time!!! So....I want
the 'whole truth & nothin' but the truth'
about the winds in Aruba!! Thx.!

Nov 26th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Vanessa

I really didn't notice the winds every one talks about when I was in Aruba a few years ago. On the other hand, we had rain every day (overnight and a quick shower each day) and had been told "it never rains in Aruba".

The rain didn't disrupt our holiday so I hope the wind won't disrupt yours.

Nov 27th, 2000, 01:38 AM
Karen

This always seems to bring out the ire in the "Aruba lovers" but when we were there last, and the three previous visits, the wind did make beach sitting very unpleasant and somedays impossible with the blowing hurting stinging sand. It is my understanding that they get stronger thru the Spring and I have never been in December so it may be different. It seems that they average around 20K but some people enjoy them and call them "cooling breezes" retreating to the more protected pools. I just look at the Divi Divi trees are realize that it must be steady as the trees do grow bent over and it is the wind surfing capital. But, it can still provide a fun time and is enjoyed by lots of people! And "that's the truth," as I experienced it!

Nov 27th, 2000, 05:00 AM
tobey

We were there for a week in late Feb. 2000 and found the wind no worse than any other seaside location we have visited - e.g. Jamaica, Cape Cod, St. Croix, southern California coast. Sitting on the beach was comfortable; no sand in our eyes, no overturned chairs.
Maybe we were just lucky and hit a relatively calm week!

Nov 27th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Cheri

When we were in Aruba, we went in May. The winds were not constant, but more like gusts. You would be walking on the beach and suddenly get sand blasted. There were also certain areas where the wind blew between hotels and it was quite strong. I wouldn't let this stop me from going.

Nov 27th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Eileen

I obsessed over this before I went last March. Yes, the wind is constant, but it did not keep me from sitting on the beach. I did have to use a headband to keep my hair from blowing in my face, but did not feel stinging sand. I would not change your plans because of the wind, lots of caribbean locales are breezy.

Nov 27th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Nancy

We were there in July 1999. It was extremely windy, but you need the wind because it was very very very hot. It may be hotter there in the summer than the winter. It did not keep us from going to the beach...but bring barettes and hair bands. I never had a good hair day! Personally, we wouldn't go back, too much wind, too hot and it it mostly desert. Not a very pretty island for the Carribean. However, many people love it,I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Nov 28th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Randy

Susan-
Have been to Aruba many times--it only rains for about 4-6 weeks in November and December. The island is a desert and receives just over 10 inches of rain per year. The wind is almost constant since the island is in trade winds, but this constant wind keeps any type of mosquito and most other flying bugs from incubating off-spring. It is the most bug-free island in the Caribbean as a result.

I've never been sand blasted as others report and am usually there in March, April or May. It's also correct that the wind helps to keep you cool--it would be a bit too hot without the breeze.

My advice, avoid the rainy weeks and go have the time of your life!

Nov 29th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Arubasun.

The windy month of Aruba is May June...December there is moderate to light wind and it will not bother you, it's a relief from the heat. Though December is not an extreme hot month. Average temperature 80F to 85F.

You will visit Aruba in the most beautiful time of the year. The island is very green at the momemt with the showers that we have received. In addition many buildings and homes and stores are decorating themselves with christmas lights. I hope you also experience new years in Aruba...and hear the fire crackers go off in down town Oranjestad during the day on december 31st and prepare yourself for night fireworks in which over 2.5 million dollar worth of household firework consumption will be burnt in the air.

The best place to celebrate new years in the Caribbean is got to be Aruba!!

Dec 2nd, 2000, 02:26 PM
nancy

My husband and I were there for our honeymoon a few years ago the first week of December. Being a contact lens wearer, the wind was certainly on my mind. Bottom line, the wind was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and did not bother my eyes at all. The weather was beautiful, the food good, people nice and a very safe place and easy to rent a jeep and get around - you can see the whole island in 1/2 day. Don't worry and have a great time - you'll be glad you went.

Dec 3rd, 2000, 01:12 AM
JanGail

Susan,
I agree with the last poster (and most
other posters as well). The winds are
really not all that bad. Everyone has
different levels of tolerance as far
as discomfort goes. In my opinion,
while sitting on the beach under a shade
hut, the winds blow just hard enough
to rustle your newspaper and making it
kinda hard to read; maybe blow off a
hat loosely placed on your head; for
sure, without the wind it would be too
hot! If your tolerance for the wind is
low, there is always the pool area to
retreat to! In conclusion I wouldn't
dismiss Aruba on the basis of this one
issue-- just go and have a good time!
We're going back for our 3d trip to
Aruba in May 2001--can't wait! Aruba
is a great place to relax, veg out,
friendly people, safe island, good food,
lots of activities.
JanGail

Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:33 AM
Kimberly

Susan - My husband and I have been to Aruba twice during the Christmas/New Year's holiday and did not find the wind to be a problem. It wasn't very strong and we found it to be refreshing during the warmer part of the day. Just make sure to bring plenty of sun screen since the breeze can be deceiving on the amount of sun you are receiving.

New Year's Eve is a great time to be in Aruba. We really enjoyed all of the fireworks, they start during the middle of the day and go throughout the night. We especially enjoyed them as it got closer to midnight.

Have a great time.

Dec 4th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Susan

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
3 weeks from today we will be there!!!!
I will make sure I ask Santa for a head band! ( & sunscreen!)
Merry Christmas to all & to all a goodnight!!