Winds & Blowing Sand

Feb 19th, 2001, 09:28 AM
msacks

Winds & Blowing Sand

Hi-

Were planning a vacation to Aruba. I've narrowed my choice down to the Marriott, Hyatt, and Wyndham Resorts.

In reviewing some of the posts about Aruba, some people mentioned the wind and blowing sands as an ongoing problem. Is this really a problem? Are there better times of the year to avoid the winds and blowing sand? We like to sunbathe on the beach, and this would definitely be a trip killer.

Feb 19th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Karen

I can only tell you that we experienced uncomfortable blowing biting sand on the beaches on Aruba. We were there in February and were told that it only gets worse thru the Spring. August thru November is supposed to be "low wind" time. Others report that it is "cooling breezes" but many do report that it is a steady 20K "breeze" year round and I know many people love it!! I was disappointed!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:46 AM
lib

Aruba was the most windy of the islands I have visited. But that is partly because of its location and partly because it is a desert and there ate not the trees/rainforest to block the wind. You get used to it after the first day. Just clip your hair up and go. We were there in July and it is rather hot so the wind/breeze was welcome. It certainly did not ruin my sunbathing on the beach. During the week there was only one day that the wind was blowing hard enough to make the sand sting you on the beach and we spent that day at the pool. We stayed at the LaCabana and would definitely stay there again. And I would definitely go there again. I have read some scathing posts on this board about Aruba (believe it or not be people who say they have never been there). I believe people should go and explore and decide for themselves what they like. We went to St. Lucia several years ago because everyone said it was so wonderful. That was a nightmare trip and I would never return. So to each his own. When you get to Aruba, you will see why the island's motto is "One Happy Island." Have fun.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:23 AM
jack

Aruba's motto should be "One Lying Island" There is so much propaganda to make you think it is a safe island it is no safer than anywhere else which we found out the hard way. Has noone else seen the huge prison out by Baby Beach!!! Please there are far nicer places to go and about the wind the first few days there we felt deaf but you do get used to it. I know alot of politician's that would like there press agents!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:46 AM
Robin

I can only tell you what it was like in December....Great! We spent all day,
every day on the beach for 6 days. Wind was not a problem. That said, let's talk about hotels! ( You have not asked so I know this is unsolicited!) We stayed @ Marriott Hotel
( not timeshares next door) & were extremely disappointed. Having read rave reviews about The Aruba Marriott we were
expecting a 5 star hotel. IMO the Aruba Marriott is seriously in need of upgrading. Everything from the rooms to the food to the service was very disappointing. Next time we will go to Hyatt or perhaps The Radisson which has recently been refurbished.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Anita

Hi

I haven't been to Aruba but have heard that the wind constantly blows. When I was in Jamaica, it was very, very windy the first few days. I couldn't stand it and got my hair braided - 40 braids! It helped, but it wasn't too comfortable. You may want to change your island destination if this is a potential problem for you. However, I've stayed at Wyndham all inclusive resorts, and they're fantastic.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
chazz

We spent a week in Aruba last Feb. and the wind wasn't bad at all - maybe we were just lucky !

Of the three hotels you mentioned, I think the Hyatt might have the least wind, as it is located in between two other hotels. The Marriott is off by itself (to the north) and the Wyndham is the southernmost on the Palm Beach "strip."

We stayed at the Manchebo, but based on our "walk-by" observations and comments I have seen on bulletin boards, the Hyatt is probably the nicest of the three you mentioned.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
anon

Go to Grand Cayman. 7 mile beach is on the leeward side and it is always tranquil and calm. The water is beautiful. he prevailing winds come from the east or northeast (behind you)!!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
PJ

We went to Aruba last February and loved it. Wind was refreshing, wasn't a big problem with sand, just hang onto your hat. We stayed at the LaCabana but bought a timeshare at the Marriott. We're going again this April and can't wait. It's not a lush,green tropical island but it has beautiful beaches and water. We spent most of our time on the beach, wind wasn't a big problem. (be prepared for some topless women though!) We found the island safe, and the people very friendly. We walked through the Hyatt and Wyndham and they both looked great too. Don't know about the regular Marriott, we only went through the timeshare one. We're thinking of a different island for 2002, maybe Cayman or Turks. Enjoy your trip!