Wind in Aruba?

Apr 16th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Wind in Aruba?

We are thinking of going to Aruba at the end of June but have been put off by friends who said it was really windy, sand blowing in faces etc. I have been reading the posts on this board and it would seem that the most windy part is around the Wyndham hotel. Is this correct? Can anyone help - we really want to go to Aruba but love beaches and dont want to spend the time around the swimming pool because of the wind. We are thinking of staying at Bucuti Beach hotel. Many thanks!
Apr 16th, 2004, 08:19 AM

GO it is great the wind blows to keep you cool, as it is very hot if the wind is not moving.. www.aruba.com to get more info on the island.. We love it and my daughter is planning to get married there in the next year..
We stay at the wyndham where every one says how sindy it is but we had no trouble -- in march I think it is the worst.
Apr 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM

No need to worry about the wind. As the previous poster stated you need the wind to stay cool, otherwise you'll melt in the sun. It's a great island with extremely friendly locals who will go out of their way for you.

Go and enjoy!

Apr 16th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'll agree that without the wind Aruba could be uncomfortably hot. When we stayed at the Hyatt we found that several days we were uncomfortable on the beach, however, due the stinging sand whipped up by the wind. It wasn't a huge problem, but Aruba's the only island in the Caribbean I've been to on which this was an issue. I wouldn't tell anyone not to go there because of that, though. It's got a lot of positives and very few negative attributes.
Apr 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I also agree with the previous posts - the wind didn't bother me at all and I was glad to have it when the sun was beating down. It is a killer for hair -- I highly suggest living in a ponytail and/or a hat!
Apr 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM
WGS

Bring them on! For us, the winds are very much welcomed and a non-issue. We have been there and 'melted' one year during a 4-day stretch w/o wind. No fun being uncomfortable. We love dining outside in the evening and it was not enjoyable during that period. Ugh! 3 of those days we stayed in the water most of the day while the 4th day we drove around all day in an a/c car.

If you indeed go, Bucuti is a wonderful choice. No other beach we've ever been to compares. But that a whole other post.

I say go for it and be thankful there ARE tradewinds
Apr 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Just curious....why Aruba?
Apr 17th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies! Now here's another question - do the winds make the sea choppy? In reply to capri767 - we wanted to go to Aruba because we heard it had great beaches and restaurants and good snorkelling. We live in the UK and the other thing thats worrying me is that this island is so much cheaper to get to than other caribbean islands - I'm wondering why!
Apr 17th, 2004, 04:46 AM
sjm

My guess is competition.
Apr 17th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Hi Gill - yes, the winds sometimes make the water choppy. We've never encountered large waves but while trying to snorkel on our last vacation the water was very choppy and we had to abandon the trip. Having said that you've heard correctly about Aruba having great beaches and restaurants but I'm not sure I could say there is great snorkeling. In three trips we've tried three different areas and each time found the snorkeling blah compared to other vacation destinations. We do love Aruba for many reasons but snorkeling isn't one of them.
Apr 17th, 2004, 06:18 AM

I've been to Aruba twice in the past 4 years. No complaints at all!! Sand, wind, water are all great. We did not have one bad day during our two trips. The Bucuti is an exceptional choice. Your family will love this vacation.
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Actually even with the ever present winds the H2O's of Palm beach were surprisingly calm. As for the price discrepancy this is a valid question. However the island has a high standard of living for the Carib., low crime, and as per a readers poll in a US based travel mag. (Carib. Travel and Life) it was voted the best overall destination and had the friendliest people. You will have a ball and get used to saying "bon dia", the local dialect (Papiemento) for good day. If you do decide to go there I would be happy to recommend sites and restaurants. BTW I would advise against going all inclusive. Too many good restaurants there. Cheers, Larry
Apr 17th, 2004, 09:14 AM

GO TO ARUBA!! We just got back and it was wonderful! I too was afraid the wind would be a problem. To me, they were just light breezes. We stayed at the Marriott and thought it was great. I heard wonderful things about Bucuti. Don't worry about the wind, it is not a factor(just don't stay at the wyndam hotel ha ha). The food is great, the beaches are nice, the water is clean to drink right from the tap, and the people are friendly. I would go back in a heartbeat! I am a beginner snorkeler and I enjoyed it. There were lots of fish and it was calm in some areas and choppy in others. Go to aruba-bb.com and ask away. This is a great info. website.....
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Interestingly enough, we just got back from a week at Bucuti, and yes, Aruba has a constant wind. But thank goodness because it's necessary because of the heat! I would recommend Bucuti to you, and do think it was the best place on the island--the beachfront is the absolute best, the hotel is European chic with great balconies and lots of privacy. Stay in the Tara Wing Suites (Rm. 316) and you get a great modern beach front accomodation. We visited the supposed "top" hotels (Hyatt, Marriott, Radisson-and Bucuti was much more quaint and romantic)
We're picky (Cap Jaluca, Sans Souci picky) and I loved Bucuti.

Is it a little windy? Yes. But not out of control, get me outta here, windy. Good luck.
Apr 17th, 2004, 08:53 PM

I'm looking into going to Aruba also.... Bucuti doesn't seem to have a pool. Is that correct? (anyone of you who's been there?)
Apr 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM
sjm

Staying at the Bucuti in May ... can't wait. One more question about the wind, wardrobe related: Does it make it a little chilly at night, or on the beach when you get out of the water?
Apr 18th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

This question is bringing up so many other questions! As someone else has already asked .... is it cool on an evening because of the wind? I think we're 99% of the way there to booking - just hope we can get in to the Bucuti now... will let you know.
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM

For the day and even the evening, you'll want light clothing. Remember that it's the southern Caribbean and "cool" is not necessarily "chilly". It's just not blazing hot--still plenty warm. Go Go Go to Aruba-you'll love it. And most of all, rent a jeep and cruise around to the deserts, natural bridges, Arikok park, Saveneta and the Northern Coast (lighthouse, churches, etc). What an eclectic place! And safe...