Search

Willy T's

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willy T's

We are considering a chartered trip to Norman Island, which includes a stop at Willy T's. Looks like a great time --- but we will have our 6 & 9 y/o's with us. Will they love it (Willy's) or would it be inappropriate? We will be there for lunch. Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Well, it's sort of a rite of passage for women to jump naked off the Willy T -- if they do it, they get a t-shirt. This happens at all times of the day and evening, and you'll see the shirts throughout the BVI. Lots of adult beverages typically precede the jump. Body shots are also part of the scene. So, that's what your kids may witness at the Willy T. (Of course, it may also be a slow day and you'll have the place to yourselves. There are no guarantees.)
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:53 AM
mq

The Willy T is a very small boat that's been converted into a bar. There's no room for the kids to run around. Just over on the beach is a restaurant called Pirates. I haven't done the hike, but the Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands mentions a nice trail to the top of the hill from behind the restaurant. You could also possibly include a snorkel of the caves. (not sure if that's an option for your day trip)

There's no roads on this island, no inhabitants, just a couple of beach bars operated by people who boat over every morning from Tortola.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Callaloo's description is right on the money as to what was going on when we were there. (NO, I did NOT get a t-shirt! )
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Too funny! It's good to know if things are looking a little rowdy we can ask the captain to let us off on the beach and we can dine at Pirates. The charter description says "Lunch at Willy T's". Does Willy's serve solid food - or perhaps we would dine at Pirates anyway?

How do you get onto the boat - Is there a plank or do you climb a ladder? Can you easily swim to the beach (I am thinking about the 6 & 9 y/o's)

MQ - One of the reasons this charter appeals to us so much is the Caves snorkeling. Have you done it? Do you think it would be good for the kids? They both take swimming lessons and are learning to snorkel.

Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:30 AM

The Willy T. does serve solid food, though I haven't eaten it myself. However, I can vouch for the food at Pirate's, though the service is a bit on the slow side at times.

As for the Willy T., as I recall, there is a sort of deck area you tie up to, and then a ladder you climb. I would not recommend that you swim to the beach, however. Not only is it some distance away, but the anchorage is a busy one and a small child might not be too visible to a speeding dinghy.

The Caves can be a great spot for snorkeling, depending on the conditions. Sometimes the surge and current are too much. Also, you actually do go into a dark cave, and some people might freak out over that.