Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to go with kids- need help please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my husband and I just found this wonderful site last week and have so enjoyed reading all the great information everyone has to offer. We are looking for some help from all you experienced Carribean vacationers. We want to vacation the first week of June with our children ages 14, 11, and twins 8 to the Virgin islands or BVI. We've been to Hawaii, Aruba, Bermuda, Bahamas, but want something new. The problem is we have to rent a villa or 2 rooms for the six of us. We planned to have $10,000 for this trip, land only, and are looking for beautiful beaches- not rocky, peace and quiet, some snorkeling, and perhaps horseback riding. Our children will be with us at all times, so no need for kids programs. We don't want to expose them to areas of poverty and beggars either. We like to be beachfront as much as possible too. What would you all suggest?? Thank you for your help!!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda is the best all around family spot we have found. There is so much to do there. Loads of optional, but included activities like snorkeling trips, sailing lessons, etc. The food is good and well - suited to families. The rate is all inclusive and has to be as the only access is by water and you can't easily access other restaurants. But you won't miss it. As soon as you are seated for meals, the kids can go and get soup, salad, bread from the buffet. This willl keep them happy for a while. Then you can order from the waiter anything you like from the menu. The atmosphere is casual and fun. The beach is nice, with chairs and umbrellas always available. The beachfront villas are charming 2 bedroom cottages, but I don't know if they will fit 6 people. You would have to ask about that. The family rates aren't available on the website, you have to call to get them. But I remember the last time we went, with our 8 and 10 year old boys, I was amazed by how cheap the prices were for the kids. Also, you are going in the off-season for the Caribbean, so they should be willing to make you a deal. Access is a little complicated - you fly to Tortola and then take a boat ride to the resort. It lands right at the hotel dock. This was a terrific vacation and we all hung out together the whole time. We took advantage of organized snorkeling trips a few times. They pack your lunch and take you to someplace beautiful. It was the most amazing snorkeling we have ever done. The only exception to our togetherness was that one son really took a lot of sailing lessons (all included in the price) and participated in a couple of kids sailing events. Also, the use of a Boston Whaler is included in the weekly rate, so the kids will have a ball going out for boat rides with you. Just FYI, there is no horseback riding, but you won't miss it. Good Luck. I hope the pricing works out for you. If you go, make sure to take an excursion to The Baths, an amazing rock formation.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the tip. I will definately look into Virgin Gorda. It is always great to hear from people who have vacationed to these areas with children. I'll keep you posted!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:23 AM
KXR

Also check out the Cuisine Art resort and Spa on the island of Anguilla. Great beaches and water activites. Not much in terms of shopping though.

www.cuisinartresort.com

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Also check out the Buccaneer on St. Croix. They run good summer specials for families so I think you could get two oceanfront rooms (two queens in each) for the cost of 1 1/2. Pretty beach, snorkeling right off beach, tennis, basketball, golf, sea kayaks, sailboats. You can horseback ride elsewhere on the island. Take a catamaran over to Buck Island for underwater National Park.

Bitter End is another good idea. We've never stayed there but have stayed nearby. Virgin Gorda is beautiful.

The most beautiful spot IMHO is St. John but you would want to rent a villa/house. My issue with going to St. John with kids is that you would have to drive to a beach each day and would not have things like tennis right on your property. But the beaches are amazing and the island is beautiful.