Will we be happy in St. John?

Jul 15th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Jace Janiero

Will we be happy in St. John?

Several friends have raved about the beaches, but we're having trouble finding the right accommodations Caneel Bay is out of the question because hubby wants easy phone access. I've heard bad things about the Westin, including poor service & terrible beach. Visited site of Estate Lindholm and really liked it. Looks beautiful & interesting, but doesn't seem to have a pool or be near a beach.

Can anyone help? We are in our 40s and 50s. We don't want to be around a lot of kids. We really like a quiet, elegant, upscale resort with access to a variety of restaurants. Don't need golf or tennis, just swimming. We'd really like to go to the Virgins this year - have been to Bahamas & West Indies already.

Jul 15th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Tonya

Have you looked into Gallows Point Resort?

Jul 15th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Jace

No, but I will now. Thanks for the tip.

Jul 16th, 2000, 03:13 AM
karen

Since you want a resort, not a self-catering unit or a villa (although Gallows has daily maid service I understand), you might want to look at the East End of St. Thomas for a resort. Gallows offers no beach to speak of (but you can snorkle from there). The ferry ride from STT is 15 minutes and $3 pp to STJ and can offer an option. There is the Ritz, Elysian, Secret Harbour, Anchorage, Sapphire, Marriott's Grande Beach, Sugar Bay and loads of condos/villas which won't carry the heftier price tag of STJ. Many of the villas on STJ are not on or near a beach and are wonderful but do entail a drive to a beach. Check www.netsoursce-1.com/twostjvillas/ but there are loads of sites out there!

Jul 16th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Rob

You also don't want to stay at Caneel Bay because the rooms don't have any A/C--and believe me, you'll need A/C! If you don't want to be around kids, don't choose Sapphire on St. Thomas. I stayed there last summer, and it is promoted as a "Family Resort," thus, there were lots and lots of kids! I liked St. John better than St. Thomas because it's a lot less built up. 2/3 of the island is conservation land, and it's a much prettier island. But there's a trade-off with that: St. Thomas is highly developed, so there's a lot more to do. It depends on what a vacation means to you--doing or relaxing? The ferry is pretty reasonable, so you could always go to St. Thomas for a day visit.

Jul 17th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Karen

Caneel has a/c'ed the rooms so that is not a "problem" anymore - except for those who enjoyed the fresh air and the wonderful breezes. Many villas are not a/c'ed either or have it just in the bedrooms depending on the location with proximity to the tradewinds.

Jul 17th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Lesley

St John is beautiful. I do not recommend the St. John Inn...yukky location. However, in St Thomas, I recently stayed at the newly renovated Inn at Blackbeard's Castle. It was wonderful, great price, and fantastic restaurant. It is in Charlotte Amalie up the 99 stairs.

Jul 17th, 2000, 05:45 PM
ezron

Don't sell the Westin short. Its a beautiful resort with great views and one of the best pools anywhere. Yes, the beach there is not the best but you are going to want to get out and explore the great St. John beaches anyway(Trunk,Hawksnest,Cinnamon,etc.)And Cruz Bay and its great restaurants are less than 5 minutes away.Whatever you do RENT A JEEP. JMHO.

Jul 18th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Jace

Thank you, everybody, for your generous and helpful replies!!
Jace