Search

St Martin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Pat

St Martin

I first visited St Martin 15 years ago and fell in love with it. I continue to return almost yearly. I have traveled to other islands but prefer St Martin.Over the years the island has been built up. The past few years they have been hit by several hurricanes but clean up following the storms very well.I last went to St martin in Oct. 1999 just days following a hurricane.We encountered a few minor problems initially but no great inconvienences. I think they responded well. The island has beautiful beaches,resorts,great food and excellent shopping. I have not heard or seen any violence or crimes.The people are very nice. I hope some of you reconcider and visit this beautiful island.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Todd

Recent economic turmoil (caused primarily by multiple hurricanes) has led to a major crime wave. St. Martin simply isn't safe for tourists. Murders, rapes, armed robbery -- not my idea of a vacation. <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 11:12 AM
coleinkc

Todd have you been there? Why do you say there is a major crime wave? Why do you say it is not safe? as compared to where is it not safe? So many people using one or two incidents in the lasts year to use as proof, then they pull up old articles from years ago cut out the parts that don't fit their agenda and repost them without dates. There is not a place you can name that I could not find info to show a crime wave using the misinformation and half truths that these people have. <BR>Pat thank you for an honest post from someone who has been there....

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Chas

Don't woory about the parrots like Todd. Probably never had an original thought in his life. It's so easy to make a blanket statements and never offer up anything concrete. (Todd: If you're going to now respond with a crime story from a newspaper, find a new one). Todd's probably never been let out of his room. <BR> <BR>You notice that those people who make posts like that are never willing to really provide a valid email address, and can never relate their experience with an island? Probably get in trouble with mom and dad.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Jean

You certainly are a mean and nasty person. Are you this hateful with everyone or do you save it for posters who happen to have an opinion that differs from your almighty one?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Chas

Jean: <BR> <BR>I was trying to drive home a point. Todd can appearantly make generalizations about St. Martin without offering any personal experiences to back it up and we are supposed to accept his statements as reality. <BR> <BR>Likewise, if I can make generalizations about Todd without backing it up with personal experiences, then it should also be taken as fact. <BR> <BR>If you've visited some of the other St Martin BBs. you would know about the form of electronic terrorism that is going on.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:48 AM
John

Jean: <BR> <BR>I've got to applaud Chas's actions. I've been reading too much of this type of crap on other boards as well. It's not like the people who post these types of messages are willing to engage in any type of serious discussion of an issue; just make a blanket statement and walk away. In their case, on other boards, if you don't agree with that position then your just involved in some massive coverup. It's just a hit and run tactit (or to stick with Chas's analogy, it's like ringing the doorbell and running away).

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Jake

Shouldn't we be talking about <BR> <BR>the gang rape last month, <BR>the 9 murders in the first half of '99, <BR> <BR>the lack of available crime data for the second half of '99 and '00, <BR> <BR>the corrupt St. Martin police force (see Daily Herald for more info)?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Jane

Jean: <BR>I think the mean and nasty has been misdirected. There is an individual or group of individuals out there that are on a smear campaign of St. Martin. They repeatly bring up old threads, old crime stories and such, without sharing their own experience. One article was even doctored, eliminating all information on other islands. This thread is a perfect example, It was a I had 'I had a great trip' report, but it had to be brought up with a slam about crime by Toddy boy. They are playing a very sick game, that will have an negative effect on two countries and there people. That's whats mean and nasty.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Chas

Jake: <BR> <BR>Is that you, or Todd? If you're going to talk about it, do so. Once again, no original thoughts. Amazing how you people never own up. (Cluck, cluck, cluck). <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 09:06 AM
amber

I went to St. Martin June 15-22 & really did not encounter too many problems. I stayed at Grand Case Beach Club. The only problem with crime that I experienced was at our hotel. We had our boogie boards in our Rav rental & I was on the beach when I spotted 3 americans going through the back of our rental so I went running up to the parking lot & they left. They were obviously tourists. Nothing was missing either since the only thing there were the boogie boards. If I had read all of the negative posts about St. Martin, I definatly would not have gone. I had a great time while I was there but I would not go back. I really did not think that big crime was an issue.