Search

Wife Driving Me Nuts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife Driving Me Nuts

Help! My wife is desperate to get away for a week to the Caribbean following Christmas '04.

She refuses to go to a travel agent and is driving us both nuts with the frustrations of the internet. We are looking for a 5 star beach resort on a 3 star budget. Our 14 year old son is with us. We are looking for a wonderful hotel on a fantastic beach and all the available water sports/activities. I don't want to be a tourist. I just want a cot with a palapa. Please save me!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM

She really needs to find a good travel agent - isn't there someone she trusts who can recommend someone? I believe good travel agents are a Godsend - ones who have been to the resorts themselves or can put you in touch with someone who has.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I know what you guys are going through. I agonized over planning our vacation for this summer. We decided to try Negril Jamaica & wanted a family resort that was all inclusive since it was our 1st time there. I did major research here & elsewhere online. One site that was helpful with recent reviews of resorts all over the tropics was www.tropictravelonline.com. They have recent trip reports on their message board as well as pictures from people's trips to the different places.

We loved Negril. it was laid back enough for us but still had resorts with watersports. Something for every budget & the people in Jamaica were great.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Sunnyboy

One thing you should know is that if you are planning to go to the Caribbean right after Christmas it is high season, meaning the hotels charge the highest prices of the year and some have minimum stay requirements. Also, finding 5-star resorts for 3-star prices, while everybody's dream, doesn't really happen. The upscale resorts don't have to cut prices to attract guests - they are usually booked solid a year in advance. However, you will be able to find accomodations within your budget if you are realistic in you expectations. Start with a good travel agent or pick up a few guide books to get general information about hotels and resorts on islands that appeal to you. You can then firgure out which hotels and resorts fit your particular needs and budget. If you have your heart set on a 5-star resort but only have a 3-star budget consider postponing your trip until after Easter or in summer as rates drop dramatically in the off-season (keep in mind that the 3-star resorts also drop their rates at that time so you'll still be faced with the fact that the will be rate differentials between up-scale and standard hotels.

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Several yrs. ago we stayed near Play Del Carmen at Puerto Aventuras. It was 3 or 4 * then and why I am not sure because it seemed alot better than that. It is in a beautiful complex that includes a marina, outdoor cafes, condos and even has its own PO and museum! Most pleasant for a stroll. You are also very near PDC to shop, eat, etc. and there is a variety of things to do including ferries to Isla Mujeres and Cozumel, Mayan ruins, Cancun, ecological parks, etc.And yes, it is on the beach! You may want to check this one out. Good luck, Larry
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Hello Glen!!

I keep pushing this place I went to after Xmas last year but it is for a great reason - of all the islands and all the resorts I have been to this one was the perfect balance of almost 5 star at total 3 star prices. One exception is that we did not stay in the regular studio rooms...So here we go...

Grenada at the Flamboyant Hotel...we contacted the hotel directly and got a discounted rate on the Cottage which was perfect for us as it has two rooms on either side of a lovely living / dining room and kitchen area - we were perched high on the hill facing the length of Grand Anse Beach and on to St. Georges (the capitol). The maid service was great we know first hand because the view was so breathtaking that we rarely spent too much time elsewhere and we ended up in the maids' way all the time - she also had a very tolerant nature as you will find with 90% of Grenadians...I wont say all only because I gather there would have to be a few people on the island with an unfriendly disposition - not that I have ever met them in my 4 visits to this lush old style caribbean island...

The Hotel is on the end point of the beach which meant that while everyone else on the beach was cursing the Cruise tourists (no offense) we were tucked off on the end enjoying the piece and quiet. The have billiards, and darts nothing fancy but fun. A good restuarant and a lovely pool that is also perched half way down to the beach therefore with a great view as well... There are many many many restaurants within walking distance - one directly next door - La Dolce Vita...and there is another lovely beach on the other side of the hill so two beaches within walking distance.

The only drawbacks would be... for some the hike up and down the hill would be upsetting...I was however, six months pregnant and made the hike without any trouble...

There is not the AllInclusive piece that many love and it is not a glossy glitzy glam Sandals style hotel where people wait on you hand and foot. This is one of those dirty little secrets that you have to be there to believe it is as great as it is...but only if you are looking for genuine Caribbean with a genuine gem of a spot.

Really - it is fabulous...Plus all the available watersports are right on the doorstep of the hotel - but only non motorized are included... If you read great reviews about this hotel they are true...if you read bad ones - the person was looking for something else - a la Sandals maybe??