Which Virgin Island

Nov 5th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Which Virgin Island

My fiance and I are trying to figure out which of the USVIs would make the best week-long honeymoon in August 2007. We're young, but don't need very much nightlife to keep us happy. We're really looking for a nice, clean hotel/resort with a great beach and good services. Any suggestions about which island might be best suited for us?
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM

What kind of budget?
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:15 AM

If there is no budget, the best of the best is a split between Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda, with Caneel Bay in St. John. Both are sister properties, and you can get a stay on their website that splis the 2, and includes transfers between the 2.
Once you have those accomadations, you can dat trip island hop, don't miss Jost Van Dyke, and from Virgin Gorda maybe Anegada. If you do this, you will have an incredible honeymoon.
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Acknowleging that Aug. is in the middle of the hurricane/tropical depression season, though this past June-Oct. was almost hurricane free, I would heartly second 4 nights at Canneel Bay on St. John and 3 nights att Little Dix Bay. If you do that I would suggest at Caneel staying in the Hawks Nest Section-requst "second floor, end room" but not guaranteed but if they know it's your honeymoon they will try hard to put you there.While the rooms all have A/C there is more likely to have a breeze on the beach at Hawks Nest than say the Turtle Bay Section. But do not take the rooms near the tennis courts/pool, though they are a little cheaper you loose some of the magnificance of the scenery of Caneeel. At Little Dix a Premium Room, you might like one of the rooms on stilts but again request "one away from the dining areas and as near the beach as possible. They will fewrry you from Caneel to Little Dix. If you go there go over to Little Dix in the late mornig and they will have avaailability so you probabably can check-in by 11 AM-noon and have the afternoon to begin enjoying Little Dix. If you like snorkeling you could not pick 2 better places other than some of the smaller Hawaiian Islands to go for a honeymoon. The food is good now my friends say at Caneel (they had 4-5 years where it was only fair, but years ago it was superb) and the food at Little Dix is very good based on our lat trip in 2004 andseveral friends who went in early 2005.It is good you are not looking for night life for on Little Dix there is a combo and at Caneel (they too have a combo) but you can also go in to Cruz Bay one evening for the bar scene if you want. It is a 15 open taxi ride away from the resort.But, you can cheack current rates but with the MAP meal plan, tax and service charge it will cost slightly under $5000 for 7 nights.Because you loose so much time in going and coming you might want to consider 8 nights if your budget can handle~$5500.It can be lovely but I must point out both resorts have "kids camps" so there will be a fair number of children at that time of year but you can easily find privacy at both resorts.
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM

If you want British Virgin Islands, don't discount Tortola. Not difficult to get to & lots of different options as far as budgets go. Good day trips to other islands as well.
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I whole heartedly agree with the other suggestions and would also add Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda if you have a large budget for your honeymoon.

However, if your budget isn't quit that lofty, take a look at Tortola as Carrybean suggests. Two places there that might suit are the Long Bay Beach Resort (www.eliteislandresorts.com) and the Sugar Mill Hotel (www.sugarmillhotel.com). Both are in the same price range but with different strengths. long Bay offers a stunning white sand beach perfect for long strolls., but rocks just off shore make it difficult to find entrances into the water for swimming unless you're at the far end. but there's a large swimmin pool, two restaurants, and a large selection of room categories . Sugar Mill is more intimate, more colorful, with excellent cuisine. There's a small beach on site with decent snorkeling right there. But on Tortola, you're better off renting a car and driving to all of the wonderful other beaches like Smuggler's Cove and Brewer's Bay and Long Bay East, none of which is home to a hotel or resort.

It's easy to take a day trip to Jost Van Dyke, St. John, or Virgin Gorda from Tortola, and in fact both Sugar Mill and Long Bay probably offer honeymoon packages that include a daytrip of your choice.
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Right now we're trying to hold the budget in the $4,000 range.
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM

With that budget I agree with suggestions of Tortola but if you can swing $5000 excluding air I still think you might be able to do Little Dix, Caneel or Peter Island.
Nov 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM

St. John is a beautiful island with amazing beaches. Two "high end" resorts are Caneel & Westin. But, many/most St. John travelers rent Villas (which are abundant on the island). Many/most have your own private pool and/or hot tub.

This past April we stayed in an amazing villa for around $2000 for the week.

Renting a Jeep on St. John & driving to a different beach a day is an amazing vacation.

We have also stayed at Secret Harbour Beach Resort on St. Thomas. Fantastic Beachfront Suites (condo Style - full kitchen ect) - gorgeous tree lined beach and great snorkeling right off of the beach. Restaurant & bar ocean-side, as well. We love it there & will be returning again this coming April for a couple of nights after getting out St. John fix, again.

Another great thing about both of these island (and all of the BVI's, as well) is that it is relatively easy to go from one island to another. There are many, many day trip by varied companies that offer a great choice of what to take in.

Big decision - but, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip, as long as you pick a place that has beautiful warm water to play in!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Nov 18th, 2006, 03:47 AM

just back from st. john did the villa/jeep route. had private pool and hot tub for two the place in august would be under 2000. second wind thru caribbeanvilla.com

while there ran into some folks that also highly recommended secret harbour on st. thomas.