Which Resort ~Activities for Kids

Jun 27th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Which Resort ~Activities for Kids

Hi,
We just returned from Jamaica and had a wonderful time.We statyed at FDR Resorts. I'm planning our next vacation and looking at T&C.
We have three children ages 5,4 and 2.
Which resort would you recommend.
I know Beaches would have a lot for them. But not sure its worth the cost.

Any other ideas please.
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:18 PM

There was a negative post from a recent visitor at Beaches. I was there several years ago and I thought it was o.k. We did go on a very special price and had said we wouldn't think it was worth the cost if we had paid full price. We were childless but I would say the resort does cater to families. All of the children seemed to be having a great time. You might try Punta Cana, DR they have great family resorts, or the Maya Riviera in Mexico, Cancun.
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:51 AM

I have been to beaches 4 years with my children who were 6 and 2 the last time we were there. I have found this hotel a good value, we paid 6500 including air from newark for a one bedroom suite for the week. We had very few expenses besides that for our trip. The kids club is fine. The six year olds had good activies(treaure hunt, snorkeling, boat ride) 5 year olds are a little mellower, you can check the website for a list. There are some excursions (iguana island) that is very kid friendly. We have also privately chartered a fishing boat. They have great pools, waterfalls, slides, and rafts.

For children, I think this is the most child friendly on the island, it is also a no brainer vacation. However, the food is just ok, as is the service. I think at the price we pay it is a good value, but I have heard people paying up to $10,000 for a week in a suite, and I dont think it is worth that much
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Wow, $6500 is a great deal for Beaches.
I have found a price of about $7100. Air and hotel.
I'm trying to make my hubby understand why I need a $7100 vacation. LOL
I called Beaches and they do not have charter's in our area (Texas).
I may do Beaches or another area.
Thanks for your help! : )
Jul 1st, 2003, 07:10 AM
tamraichle

trvlmom, I had to laugh at your comment about trying to make your husband understand why you need a 7k vacation! I went thru the same thing...it will be just him and I and our 21 mth old, so the cost is just under 5k. He was pretty shocked. Yes, it is pricey, but like someone said, if you factor in all food and drinks included, plus all the activities, it usually evens out. Plus people are forgetting the cost of taxis to restaurants every day. I personally think the stress and effort of finding different restaurants for lunch and dinner everyday, and traveling to them, especially with children, is well worth the money you spend on Beaches! Plus if your kids are old enough, they can take advantage of the swim up soda bar, bobby d's diner and the whole pirates island thing. Keeping them busy will make your vacation that much more relaxing! enjoy your trip! We'll be going the first week of december.

Jul 1st, 2003, 07:38 AM

Can't imagine spending that much for Beaches, there are so many better options out there and I travel a great deal to the Caribbean. To each his own, I guess. For that kind of money, you could go to the Four Seasons Nevis, Ritz Carlton Jamaica (with a suite and the AI plan)and many other very high-end resorts. I have seen Beaches, and it is not a high-end resort, in my opinion. For significantly less than $6,000 - $7,000, you could go to The Buccaneer in St. Croix, Casa De Campo in the Dominican Republic, any of the condo resorts in T & C or Aruba. You could have two vacations for the Beaches price. A cruise is also a good option. We are taking our family of four on one of the new RCL mega-ships, with two adjoining cabins for less than $3,000. Remember, your travel agent is paid with incentive trips to push Beaches.
Jul 1st, 2003, 11:03 AM

I disagree about the costs being the same at the Ritz and the Four Seasons. For a suite at the four seasons with the meal plan(no drinks) the costs for a family of four is $1,000 day without air. Non alcoholic drinks can add at least another 150 to that. Althought the four seasons does have some water sports, Having priced it out all three vacation spots, Four seasons run about $1200 / day( for a suite or two connecting rooms), without airfare. I am not saying that beaches is comparable, it is not the same league, but it also costs less.
Jul 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM

Depends on when you go, most times of the year 4 Seasons is comparable, may be a bit more in winter, but definitely less than Beaches in summer (rooms start at $295, 2nd room for kids at 50% off and a $600 airfare credit) Went to the Ritz in March, oceanview suite with the AI, cost including airfare was under $5,000. Much less in spring and fall. Ritz also has a good kids program, included in the price. Having read numerous trip reports about people disappointed with Beaches, I think that people go with very high expectations because they are paying so much and they think they are going to get much better than they do. The rooms are nothing special, the resort amenities and layout are just okay, the beach is spectacular, the food just okay, the service not great. If you go with that understanding, then you won't be disappointed.
Jul 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM
np

Do not stay at beaches you will be VERY
disapponted.Not a well maintained resort
for the money.Rooms and food are terrible
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:34 PM
CF

The Paradisus In Cozumel had a nice childrens program. They even had their own pool. They also had a snack bar that primarily catered to kids. Carried all kind of kid food...nachos, burgers, hot dogs and ice cream. I think they had chicken too. This was in addition to the regular buffet. The price wasn't bad and when I asked about the price for kids I was told by the staff that under 12 they are free.
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:48 PM
tamraichle

Well it's funny because I called my travel agent saying I was interested in Beaches. She in NO way pushed me towards it, she actually gave me other AI options but in the end I really wanted Beaches. I have stayed at other AI and they usually have very limited selections for food. I'm sure the Ritz is a wonderful luxurious hotel, but I don't know if I want that with my toddler, plus I'm sure they don't offer 10 different restaurants to eat at, etc. Hotels that aren't exclusively AI, but have an AI option are not the same.