Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which island would you go to from San Juan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am going on a business trip to San Juan in June and wanted a quick three day trip to another island for a short vacation. What is the most convenient and most beautiful island for me to go to?

Thanks!
Carly
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:44 AM

St. Maarten/St. Martin is a quick 45-minute trip on American (or 15 minutes longer if you are on American Eagle). One island, two countries.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM

There are so many islands that you can easily reach from SJU. The USVI's and BVI's are less than a 30 minute flight, St. Martin & Anguilla are 45 minutes away and St. Kitts, Nevis and Antigua are just about a hour by air. You can also go to either Culebra or Vieques by air or ferry. The latter two are just off the coast of PR so you can get to them fairly quickly. Which island is best for you really depends on what you want to do and see. Keep in mind that if you choose to fly to another island you have to factor in the check-in and waiting time at the airport when figuring your overall travel time. Also, flight schedules may determin which island is the better choice. For instances, if you are finishing your business meeting in the early afternoon you might be able to catch a late afternoon flight to a specific island rather than having to wait until the following morning to depart.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Not knowing the exact times and schedules, or your price range, I would suggest Anguilla if your focus is more on luxury and really nice beaches or Nevis if your focus is more about a beautiful, lush island with charm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
ccc

Depends on what you are looking for, but for the right kind of person (it's definitely not for everybody) Vieques is awesome. It's also very, very easy to get to from San Juan.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I would go to St. Kitts.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM

I'd go to either Vieques or Culebra. Both are very short hops from San Juan, have beautiful beaches, and are lovely places. Culebra is the much more laid back. And you can do either one fairly cheaply. Just be sure to rent a car so you can explore a bit.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:14 PM

American flies extensively from San Juan. Any nonstop of theirs is less than two hours, opening up Barbados, Grenada, as well as the already-mentioned islands.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Not to be negative but beware, the ferry we took to Vieques was late by 4 hours or so. We were just spending one night on Vieques and by the time we got there we had to turnaround. The ferry back worked out though. Nobody else seemed to mind except us non-relaxed Americas! Just bring a book and enjoy the nice weather and culture.

It's a beautiful island, it was very, very quite when we were there.

Enjoy!
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
ccc

Re Vieques, especially if time is in short supply, you should fly from either Isla Grande (the local San Juan airport) @ $45+/- each way or Fajardo @ $25+/- each way. It's very easy to get to and definitely worth it.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM

I should have been much more specific. Always fly to Vieques and Culebra if time is short and if you need to make specific connections.