Honeymoon Island Hopping

Search

Honeymoon Island Hopping

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Island Hopping

I am trying to decide where to go on my honeymoon. I am not interested in a cruise, but would love to hop between 3-4 Islands (about 11 or 12 days). I know if I go to St Thomas I can easily take a day trip to St John, but I would like to stay in St Thomas for maybe 4 days (with one day on St John) and travel to other Islands and stay for 3-4 days. Any suggestions? How do I get from one Island to the other, plane or ferry?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

You would take a ferry from St. Thomas to St. John. You can also ferry to Tortola and other British Virgin Islands from St. Thomas, with ferries leaving both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook (and probably even Cruz Bay, St. John). The ferry from CA to West End, Tortola, takes less than an hour.

For other islands, you can also puddle jump to San Juan, and from SJU, the entire Caribbean is a possibility (including St. Croix in the USVI, and the so-called Spanish Virgins of Vieques and Culebra).
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Other island hopping possibilities:

Use St. Maarten/Martin as a base and island hop by ferry and/or plane to Anguilla, Saba, and St. Eustatius.

St. Kitts/Nevis is an easy island pairing with multiple ferry crossings every day.

Tortola is a good base within the British Virgin Islands to hop to Anegada, Jost Van Dyke, and Virgin Gorda. You could also visit Tortola from St. Thomas

It's pretty easy to do St. Vincent, Bequia, Mayreau, Canouan, Carriacou, and Grenada, but it takes some patience and flexibility in terms of mail boat schedule and charter flights.

San Juan, Puerto Rico is a good place to start because it's the airline hub for American/American Eagle, which provides good access to most Caribbean islands.

Antigua and Barbuda are a good island pair. It's pretty easy to get to Nevis from Antigua, so that would also be a good trio to try.

LIAT is no longer a cheap airline, but it does connect most of the English-speaking Caribbean. You could stay on Barbados and then fly in a circle to St. Lucia or Grenada. Or start in Antigua and island hop one at a time depending on what the flight schedules might be. If memory serves me correctly, Antigua and Barbados offer more nonstop flight possibilities on LIAT than other islands do. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm not sure how else to explain it.)

There's also the Trinidad & Tobago island pairing.

Sounds like you've got a great honeymoon planned--have a fabulous time!
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I think Callaloo is spot on. The Virgin Islands are a great way to spend your honeymoon. We recently celebrated our 10th anniversary, started in St.Thomas, took the ferry to Tortola, hopped over to Virgin Gorda and then came back to St. Thomas with a trip to Jost Van Dyke in there as well. I had the time of my life.
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that each island "hop" will require packing, checking out of a hotel, getting to the airport/ferry terminal (sometimes 2 hours before a flight and sometimes flights do not leave on schedule), getting to the new hotel, checking in, unpacking, etc.

We "hopped" too many islands once and felt that we spent the better part of our vacation just getting from one place to another. Not exactly relaxing.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel in Nevis for a week. The rooms are very comfortable and large. We found the staff to be very friendly. The hotel has 2 great swimming pools for adults! I highly recommend it as well as the island of Nevis!!! The island is very picturesque with a lot of history. And you can always take a ferry over to St Kitts.