Reload this Page >

Which island has a great golf course?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:31 PM
carolee

My husband & I plan to go to an island in August or September. We want some place that not only has a beautiful beach, but also a great golf course for both of us since we are avid golfers & I know my husband will not sit on the beach every day, so we must have a golf course wherever we go!

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
Paul

There is a Robert Trent Jones championship course on Guadeloupe. Not far from it is La Cocoteraie, arguably the island's nicest hotel, on a beautiful stretch of beach. Don't, however, expect to find many people who speak English, except maybe at the hotel itself.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:16 AM
Tom

The golf course on Provo in the Turks & Caicos is rated top 10 in the Caribbean and the beach is great.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:53 AM
Parrot Mom

Casa de Campo in the D.R. has the famous "leg of the dog" that golfers want to play. They have several courses.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Mariarosa

Puerto Rico has an amazing concentration of challenging golf courses - 8 of them are championship courses.<BR><BR>The Hyatt Dorado and Cerromar courses were designed by Robert Trent Jones. The PGA holds the Senior Tournament here.<BR><BR>Palmas del Mar and the El Conquistador are also pretty tough. The El Conquistador offers quite a view.<BR><BR>The Westin Rio Mar has a nice golf course, that is a little less tough.<BR><BR>All of them, except for the Conquistador, are open to the public.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Cherise

All of the above mentioned courses are very good. Also, on Barbados there are several courses including the Royal Westmoreland Golf Course. Hotels such as Cobblers Cove will reserve tee times for you. My husband likes to play at Tierra Del Sol Golf Course in Aruba with its country club atmosphere--also have condos to rent but not directly on beach. Aruba is desert like but has beautiful beaches. Because you are traveling in hurricane season these two destinations would be ideal. A car is beneficial in Aruba but there are taxis.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Shar

Golf course at Tierra Del Sol, Aruba--Robert Trent Jones Jr designed--18 holes par 71 golf course. Information in Fodors Destination Guides--Aruba--best sports outdoors activities.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:42 AM
rqf

If you decide on Puerto Rico consider the Hyatt Dorado or Hyatt Cerromar. The two hotels are next to each other and there are two courses at each hotel, all of which you can play. The Dorado is better suited for adults, the Cerromar for families.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:09 PM
xxx

Don't overlook Nevis...there's a great course at Four Seasons.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Gail

Haven't tried any of the PR courses, BTW Parrotmom- It's Teeth of the Dog in DR, but played White Witch in Jamaica several times in Feb. and it is fabulous- Going back in Nov. because of it- Of course, the Ritz there is wonderful too! Played several different sets of tees which was fun and the forecaddies are very good.