Which island for family vacation?

Mar 17th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Which island for family vacation?

We want to take our 11 and 12 year olds on a Caribbeanish (Bermuda and Belize technically not Caribbean) vacation. Budget isn’t a factor here. However airfare is; we’re departing from MEM. So airfare is ridiculous, the price and layovers. This eliminates Bonaire, Grenadines, Grenada and St.Lucia. We want a beautiful beach. We will be spending the majority of our trip there so that’s our main concern. We will have a week in either June or July. My research is focused on Antigua, Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, and Virgin Islands. I know some of these were hit by Irma. Anyone been to these places recently? We enjoy snorkeling but more importantly calm waters for our daughters as they aren’t strong swimmers. The Caribbean is so vast and there are so many choices. Appreciate any advice. Excursions are fun but we only plan on spending a day out so let’s focus on a gorgeous beach secluded is preferred. We’re not into touristy places like Palm Beach or Cancun.
Mar 17th, 2019, 09:06 AM

I would suggest Bermuda for the gorgeous beaches and great snorkelling, coves, lots of places to visit on excursions and the English atmosphere, a really pretty place.Antigua also has gorgeous beaches but snorkelling is not great, Bahamas is another great option.
Mar 18th, 2019, 04:19 AM

I agree with either Bermuda or the Bahamas. Nice calm beautiful water in both places.
Mar 18th, 2019, 10:10 AM

We liked The Buccaneer Resort on St Croix:
https://www.thebuccaneer.com/about/

It was spared by the hurricane.
Mar 18th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I rechecked my airfare availability and I was pleasantly surprised that Grenada has a decent flight time and price. Anyone have any opinions on this island? St.Croix looks nice too. Is it easy to take a boat or flight to either St.John or St.Croix from St.Thomas? Btw good snorkeling to me is clear water with a calm current, not to picky about anything else.
Mar 18th, 2019, 11:39 PM

Grenada’s Grand Anse beach is very beautiful, the island has a mix of beautiful beaches, hilly interior & north, friendly people. St George’s is a pretty capital. Snorkelling not great. Some very good hotels to choose from. Worthwhile renting a car and exploring the island eg nutmeg processing plants and plantations, Grand Etang etc.
Mar 19th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by VelvetSun View Post
St.Croix looks nice too. Is it easy to take a boat or flight to either St.John or St.Croix from St.Thomas? Btw good snorkeling to me is clear water with a calm current, not to picky about anything else.
There is a ferry from St Thomas to St John, easy peasy. While there is a ferry to St Croix, it is a more difficult route. You can fly directly into St Croix.
Or you can stay on a beautiful beach with great snorkeling on St Thomas without having to take a ferry.
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:56 AM

Barbados is beautiful.
Mar 26th, 2019, 03:48 AM

If beach is main concern try Turks and Caicos.

Very rt easy to get to too