Which island?diving/shopping/sunning

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three couples in our 50's planning a vacation in early January. The guys have just taken up diving and want a good diving place. The gals want to relax, do a little shopping, sightseeing etc. We're thinking of an all inclusive place, adult only would be nice. Any suggestions for islands, resorts ... we're open.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
aks

In January I'd look at the Hawaii islands, or maybe Curacao.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

aks, why are you suggesting Hawaii or Curacao? weather?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:08 AM

I don't think there are any AI's in Hawaii. One of the best reefs in the world is found in Cozumel and I do think the shopping there is pretty good. You can also easily ferry to Playa Del Carmen from which alot of activities are available. Not sure about the sightseeing on Cozumel itself.
Also consider St. Thomas for a good combo of your needs.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:14 AM

St. Thomas would be an excellent idea. It's a little more sophisticated. Wyndham Sugar Bay offers an AI, NOT adult only, but if it's not school vacation, there will be a very minimal amount of kids. Good food, all brand name quality alcohol, there's a nice nightclub with a big deck that's nice for sitting outside and enjoying a couple of glasses of wine. Friendly staff, nice rooms, very comfortable beds. Lots of shopping and sightseeing, as well as diving, so a perfect balance.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

As a former instructor, I think it's important to note that most of the best Cozumel diving is for more experienced divers. Many if not all of the best dives are deep drift dives -- more advanced than basic dives.

Aruba is certainly an option -- good diving and plenty of topside attractions. Also Grand Cayman (but I'm not sure if you'll find many AI options there).

Good luck!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Gekko, thanks for the insight regarding the "beginner divers". It's very important, especially since there's only one of the three of them that I would consider in good shape. What about Key West? I realize I've now jumped from the Caribbean but it was one place my husband mentioned today ... is it suitable for a beginner? I see that the Sandals resorts include diving but at most of the others you pay extra. Is there a difference in equipment etc. that we should be mindful of?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

calamity; The Fla. Keys may be for you. But, you may want to "drive/dive" to the many shallow reefs. One is Christ Statue, in only 25 feet. It's a 9 foot replica of the one in Genoa, Italy. And, you gals can snorkel while they scuba. In fact, many locations enable snorkelers and scuba divers to mingle. Lots of brain and elkhorn corals around the Christ statue. There's also the Looe Key Reef system for novice scuba divers and snorkelers. Average depths are only 5 feet up to 35 feet. Without taking up too much space, there's also a group of neat patch reefs called "Hens and Chickens", in only about 20 foot depths. The colorful corals radiate out from the center of these reefs, mysteriously resembling a mother hen surrounded by her chicks. Your hubbies could dive down and enjoy MUCH coral on the bottom, with huge heads, some almost coming to the surface. There are so many shallow reefs for both scuba divers and snorkelers. Do some research and go out with them. The list is endless, and it is all in a marine sanctuary, so the reef fish are plentiful.
Oh, what the heck...here's from my dive journals, and these are "Best Kept" secrets for shallow reefs around KEY WEST, where you want to go. I'm getting ready to retire, so why not share, right? OK, in about 15 feet depths, Key West has dozens of patch reefs that many are unaware of. You don't even need a dive boat. They run along the south shore of Key West; the best ones are at the end of Duval Street, Simonton Street, and around the swimming beach of Casa Marina Hotel. Due to the topography underwater, scores of reef fish frequent these patch reefs. Directly west if Key West's beaches is "The Lakes", in only 5 to 25 feet of water (you can snorkel in the shallower deptsh whilst your husbands scuba deeper),the area offers many seagrass beds and banks which encompass a shallow lagoon. It's protected by a string of small islands and reefs, just west of KW. Just some thoughts, now that I've revealed my favorite places! Have fun. Robert
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Robert, WOW! Thank you so much! Your information and "secrets" are very much appreciated!!! It sounds like the Keys is the place for us. Thanks again!