Hawaii lovers - 2nd fav vacation spot

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I know all you Hawaii lovers have good taste when it comes to a vacation destination I thought I'd ask what your second favorite vacation spot is. We want to take our family of 16 next Christmas. (Ages 15-72) Active family. Probably won't go overseas. Need fairly easy access. Warm climate, no skiing. (We have gone skiing for the last 15 years at Christmas) Price is not a big concern.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM

St John, USVI
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM

My second favorite vacation spot is Yosemite's high country. After that is Paris.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:42 PM
DB

><
An all inclusive at the Palace Resorts in Cancun sounds right up your ally, so close to DFW you could almost spit on it (almost). Checkout the Moon Palace golf course.

http://www.palaceresorts.com/
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:07 AM

Any of the Bahamian out islands,(esp.Elethura) the water is so warm and clear, the british rule background gives a sense of history and refinement yet it is laid back and casual. Never a question about strange food or managing a different language. Perhaps a bit to relaxing for an active family but is my next fav to Hawaii.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:16 AM

Nothing comes even close to Hawaii - BUT, believe it or not, I love to visit Walt Disney World in Florida. I've never gone at Christmas, but I've heard the decorations and Mickey's Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom are wonderful! Some might say "cheesy" but I say "FUN"! If you were thinking of somewhere tropical, I can't help much. I've been to various places in the Caribbean but just can't come close to liking them as much as Hawaii... Florida would be warm to cool in December, certainly not what I call cold.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Does Florida have good weather in December? Anybody have an opinion on South Beach or Key West for the family vacation?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:57 AM

Just wondering... where will you be flying from? Why not overseas?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:14 AM

crazy4Hawaii, I love Disney World in FL too. I took my kids so many times they complained. I also loved Costa Rica.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Flying from DFW. The flight is too long for my parents and they are paying so....
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM

Is that also the reason (long flights) you don't want to head overseas or is there another?

I was going to suggest Belize. It's less than 3 hours nonstop on AA from DFW. Warm, tropical climate, lots to do for an active family... Mayan ruins, caving, canoeing, horseback riding, hiking in the interior. Fantastic snorkeling out in the cayes. If you don't mind a bit of the rustic. Travel to Belize has actually gotten a lot easier and more comfortable in the last decade or so. Development is still fairly low (which I like) very laid back atmosphere with no big hotels or chains (except in Belize City which is not where you want to stay anyway). I would suggest spending 3-4 days in a jungle lodge in Cayo. You could probably rent an entire lodge for your family. Coupled with another 3-4 days on Ambergris Caye or in the beach community of Placencia. It's the antithesis of Disneyworld but if it's something that sounds interesting to you, check out the Belize section of the Latin American board.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM

Late Summer and Fall in Jackson Hole Wyoming and West Yellowstone Montana Area. Fall Colors and fresh crisp Air!!!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:44 PM

Vegas!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:09 PM

I was going to say Carmel and Monterey, CA, but I am afraid to mention northern California after all the other flap on these boards, so I'll second Lahainluna's Vegas, baby, Vegas.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM

This is funny because I LOVE Hawaii but also love Disneyword!! Been there numerous times. They say it's the happiest place on earth!!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM

St John USVI is my #1 destination - Kauai is #2. GREAT villas on St. John, especially if price is really not a consideration.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Since you've requested warm weather at Christmas and no overseas flights, that limits you to southern Florida. Arizona and So California are not predictably warm at Christmas, nor is the DisneyWorld area. You'd have to go to the Keys or Miami area.
Neither of them are favorites of mine.

I'd recommend compromising the overseas limitation and going to the Caribbean. If that's an option for you (Christmas is very expensive in the desirable areas) there is a variety of great choices.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM

How about Mexico? Cancun or Puerta Vallarta? Can't compare to Hawaii, but they're warm at Christmas...
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I would recommend Costa Rica!!! I think it has the best of everything the other places have to offer! It has wonderful weather, and many of the exciting things to do (active volcano, rain forest, beaches, etc.). We booked through www.ricotours.com and got a wonderful price.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:14 AM

ARUBA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -