Search

which island??

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Jeff

which island??

I am planning a honeymoon trip for August -- we want an island that isn't too developed, but at the same time has things to do other than the beach. I have heard Barbados recommended -- any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Jack

Tahiti is nice in August.

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Eva

Consider Grenada, which, like Barbados, is generally out of the hurricane belt (very much a factor for an August trip). While the beaches are lovely, the island is blessed with so many natural wonders that you can fill your days without ever setting foot on the beach. <BR> <BR>There are crater lakes, mountains, rain forests, waterfalls, and sulfur springs. You can tour a nutmeg plantation, a cocoa factory or a rum distillery. Visit the main town, St. George, one of the most attractive harbours in the Caribbean. The local cuisine is excellent, given the bounty of the land and sea (many Caribbean islands import most of their food). Water sports galore -- diving, snorkeling, swimming, sailing and yes, even a dreaded jetski or two. And, above all, the people are very warm and friendly. <BR> <BR>In the unlikely event Grenada doesn't provide you with enough diversions, you can take a day trip to neighboring Carriacou, or even the Grenadines (snorkel trips to the Tobago Cays, for example). <BR> <BR>With the exception of some very low-key development (none taller than a palm tree) in the Grand Anse area, Grenada is blissfully undeveloped and seems likely to continue to be so. Accomodations range from quaint guesthouses to luxurious small resorts. <BR> <BR>For more information about Grenada, visit www.grenadaexplorer.com. Or visit my personal website at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html, where I have a report (with photos) of my 12/00 trip. <BR> <BR>Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, and good luck choosing the perfect honeymoon spot!

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Tanya

Bermuda is a wonderful spot to visit for your honeymoon. Lots to do including the beach. Depending on where you are departing from, there are usually good prices on cruises out of New York. Hotels and food can be expensive on the Island (remember, everything is imported) so you can get really good value on a cruise. But don't discount staying at one of their hotels. Last year we dined with a couple who were on their honeymoon. They too couldn't decide where to go and where so happy they chose Bermuda and planned on returning this year for vacation.

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:44 AM
cecilia

I agree with Grenada. My fiance and I are going to Carriacou in Sept for our honeymoon. check out this website, great villas, and airfare. we are going for 1800.00 for both of us including air and accomm for 7 days. villa with a pool and very private. close to alot of great rest including french. scuba diving; snorkeling even a nite club. <BR> <BR>cvoa.com (villas, choose island; check carriacou <BR>islandvillas.com (click on villa rentals) <BR>grenadines.net (this one gives individual info about the island ie; rest activties and such. click on the island then choose the homepage, stroll to the bottom and choose land and you will get rest info and activities.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Angela

I agree that Bermuda is a great choice -lots of great gourmet restaurants and lots to do. St Lucia is also very nice.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Mary

Bermuda is the best. Heading back this week for the fourth time in less than a year. The people are wonderful. Check out Newstead Hotel--it is very romantic.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Angela

Mauritius is excellent - lots of great hotels and lots to see - people are very friendly

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:48 PM
FRANK RIZZO

THREE MILE ISLAND IS MY RECOMENDATION.JUST A SHORT FERRY RIDE FROM PENN. COAST.LOTS OF ACTION.HOPE YOU HAVE A BLAST!!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:25 PM
steve diamanti

TO FRANK RIZZO: <BR> <BR>why are you being such a cynical sarcastic jackass, people post on these message boards to get helpful answers to honest questions not to be chided by a sad little man whose best diversion in life is chiding people who need advice on vacations