which carribean island has less tarantulas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to go to a carribean island in february for 10 days. im wickedly afraid of spiders-esp tarantulas. Where could i sleep the most peacefully - which island-has the least or preferably none. i read a story that antigua has many-thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:52 AM

If you're that phobic about spiders I would seriously reconsider the Caribbean or any tropical destination for that matter. You will find spiders of all shapes and sizes pretty much anywhere you go.
The drier islands probably have fewer, (Anguilla, Aruba etc) but even there you may run into something that would frighten you. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. There are spiders in the tropics, not getting around it, no matter where you go.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:07 AM

I agree with SillyGirl that you might see spiders in the Caribbean because everything is so open to the air. I will attest, however, that after living in, and traveling around, the Caribbean for over a decade, I've yet to see a tarantula anywhere, and spider sightings are also few.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Woohoo!

This reminds me of the "delicacy" I ate on Tobago.

It's a land crab with hair that looks just like a big hairy spider that they fry up and put on a plate with the laigs hanging out right off the edge of the plate! (Glad I had several Caribs to wash that sucker down with.)

Anyhoo. I must agree with the other posters. The islands are notorious for critters.

Imagine my dismay to find a big ole' (LIVE) scorpion in my suitcase at St. Martin when the baggage handlers inspected it on my way back from Nevis!

If you are that phobic about arachnids, the tropics should most likely be crossed off your list