Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in PR for 2 nights? Want to see El Yunque and Biobay...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in San Juan at the end of May for 2 nights before we head off to BVI. We land mid-afternoon and have that evening, the next day and fly out the following morning. So really only 1.5 days.

I want to do some hiking in El Yunque and want to spend a day taking a catamaran trip to Culebra w/a night tour of one of the biobays.

What is the best place to stay near those 2 things? I'm thinking Rio Grande area. It's our honeymoon so I want something really nice. I have heard many mixed reviews of the top resorts. We're open to a villa but I kind of want the top level of service associated w/a resort as when we head over to BVI, we'll kind of be on our own.

Thanks for some opinions!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Hi-

I just got back from a stay at the Gran Melia in Rio Mar. It it right by El Yunque and close to Fajardo and the bio bay tours. The Gran Melia gets horrible reviews on trip advisor but I thought it was perfectly lovely place to stay.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Try the Wyndham Rio Mar. You can't swim in the ocean at Gran Melia - there are just rocks and shrubs at the shoreline & the hotel can't change it because it's a protected nesting area. You'll also be close to Luquillo Beach, one of the most gorgeous beaches anywhere -it's like swimming in a huge saltwater swimming pool.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:27 AM

I (along with others) was in the ocean at the Gran Melia everyday during vacation. You can swim in the ocean at the Gran Melia. There is coral a few feet out but that does not prevent you from going in the water.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

What about El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Has anyone stayed there? Is it a pain to take the ferry to Palomino Island?

Thanks for the feedback above....

It's a toss between Wyndham Rio Mar, Gran Melia and El Conquistador....argh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM

The El Conquistador has been refurbished pretty recently (haven't been there since before the refurbishment and re-flagging, but am going soon). It's a huge property, and getting to Palomino can be a bit of a drag; worse is the return, because it seems everyone gets the idea to do that at the same time.

I liked staying there, and it's certainly convenient to Bio Bay and El Yunque.