Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Resort decision w/ 2 toddlers- rio mar or conquistador?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been to PR before so this time just looking to relax... am worried about rio mar b/c now wyndham not westin, anyone been recently?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM

my friend just got back with her toddler and husband from the rio mar and loved it. I have been to but have not stayed at the conquistidor and have no desire to stay there. Friends stayed there and did not like it. I think wyndham owns the conquistidor too.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

Yes, the Rio Mar is great for families - good secluded beaches and fairly recently renovated. Often, the ownership of the resorts changes, but the day to day operations and the staff stay the same. So, the experience is very similar, but the name on the front is the only change.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM

lisa357:
To second emcash, El Conquistador is a beautiful property but the former Rio Mar is more Accessible as far as going to the beach and/or pool than El Conquistador, friends of mine have also told me the same (I’ve stayed at Rio Mar 5 or 6x, never at Conquistador) Getting to the pool at el Conquistador is more complicated, and for what I've heard the beach is not in walking distance. Hope this helps.
Gina
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM

The Conquistador has a beautiful, world-class setting. The first decision is where to stay within the resort as the experience will very significantly. You can stay 'down' by the marina which will facilitate going to the beach (the resort does not have one and you need to take a ferry to go to the beach on a private island - kind of cool). If you stay 'up' then you will be where the action is. There is a funicular to join the marina and main building. Allow a good 20mins to walk (possibly more with toddlers) from the hotel lobby to ferry landing.

We stayed there in December and are remodeling their rooms and I was stuck in an old one (marina section). I did not feel it was worth the money (and I stayed there with a deep corporate discount).

I think the Rio Mar is more adequate for toddlers.