Where to stay in Bonaire?

Mar 13th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Bonaire?

Help! I need advice on where to stay in Bonaire. I'm interested in the Plaza Resort or Harbour Village but am certainly open to other suggestions. Thanks
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Is price a consideration? If not, Harbour Village is the certainly the nicest place, in terms of peace, resort layout, beach, location and service. The Plaza Resort is larger and has more going on. If you like more action, that may be the place for you (action is relative, Bonaire is a very laid back place).
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Are you a diver? Do you want a resorty type place or something handy to town? If you aren't a diver, or at least a snorkeler, there isn't much to do in Bonaire - no long sandy stretches of wide open beach to wander, no tourist sites, etc. However I loved Bonaire precisely because it was quiet and laid back [and I am a diver]. I stayed at the Divi Flamingo. It has a very small beach, rooms are modest but clean and the AC works. There are some rooms that have kitchenettes if you want to cook in, and there are some timeshare rooms [but no timeshare pitch to hotel guests]. Most of it has been recently remodeling, along some remodeling was still going on when I was there in November - there was no intrusive noise however. It's best feature im my opinion is that it is only about a 6 block walk into town where there are a number of restaurants, shops, etc. You don't need to eat at the hotel all the time, and you don't need a cab [saves $$$]. I walked the waterfront alone virtually every night after dinner and never felt unsafe.
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Jed

We stayed at Capt. Don's. The hotel was very good, especially the Jr. Suites. Snorkling was excellent.
Mar 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM

I have friends who have stayed at Captain Don's Habitat and loved it.
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM
CF

We stayed at the Plaza and it was nice. We checked out all the other properties on the island and feel we made the best choice. When we were there the food was not very good, but I understand things have improved. The best place to eat is (was) Richards, about 1/4 mile down the road.
Mar 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM

is bonaire like curacao in that there are small coves with little beaches? i understand the snorkeling is excellent but can you access good snorkeling from shore?
part of any vacation, for me, is finding good restaurants to have a good dinner out. would you say there are at least a few good places to eat out?
do either Harbour Village or Plaza Resort serve nice breakfasts?
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Try this site for information about Bonaire. Have fun!

http://www.bonaire-travelguide.com/bulletinboard/
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:12 PM
CF

Bonaire is short on beaches. The Plaza has a small one and there is Pink Beach. Amost all of the dive/snorkel sites are from shore. They are marked. When we were there it was with painted yellow rocks.