Where to stay in Abacos? Abacos Beach Resort?

Jun 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Abacos? Abacos Beach Resort?

I think I've narrowed it down to the Bahamas and want to reseach Abaco's a bit. We'll be traveling this August with my 2 girls 5 and 10. They would love an awesome resort type pool, and we would love an awesome relaxing beach.

oh and how do you get there? Where do you fly into?

How is Abaco Beach Resort?

Thank you
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:29 AM

The Abaco Beach Resort is on the island of Great Abaco, close to Marsh Harbour (MHH -- the airport you would most likely fly into). The Marsh Harbour area is not especially noted for great beaches, so if that's your principal concern, there are better places to go in the Abacos.

Indeed, I would suggest one of the outlying cays -- Great Guana, Elbow, Green Turtle. Great Guana and Elbow Cays are an easy ferry ride from Marsh Harbour, and the beaches are superb. However, you will be hard-pressed to find an "awesome resort type pool" because most of the hotels and villas are small and intimate; they may have pools, but no waterfalls or swim-up bars. (The only place I can think of that has such a pool is Nipper's bar, on Great Guana, and it can get pretty racy sometimes....). For a nice combo of beach, decent pool, and walking-distance-to-Hopetown (on Elbow Cay) location, Hopetown Harbour Lodge comes to mind.

It's relatively easy to get to Abaco. American, Continental/Gulfstream and USAirways, among others, fly out of Florida gateways to MHH. Small charter carriers also fly to MHH and Treasure Cay (TCB). To get the real low-down on the Abacos, visit www.coconuttelegraph.net.
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I agree with Callaloo that Abacos is not know for awesome resorts. Elbow Cay would be a nice choice for a family vacation. Elbow also has a nice lighthouse that the kids would enjoy. However Hopetown Harbor Lodge is definately not a resort. The rooms are very basic and small. The pool is nothing to write home about...very small. The beach is gorgeous.
Jun 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM

If you follow the site that Callaloo gave you should be able to find all that you need on the Abacos. Another source of information is Dr. Ralph's site.

http://www.drralph.net/index.html
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Just got back from Abaco, spent last two weeks there. Stayed in Marsh Harbor for 3 days at Lofty Fig, then spent a week on Lubber's Quarters Cay, then came back to mainland Abaco and spent 3 more days before flying out. Abaco Beach Resort is where Austin from Lubber's Quarters (Sea Level Cottages) picks you up. We spent a few hours there for drinks off and on while staying in Marsh Harbor. There is no beach, and it is mainly for boaters (huge boats and large marina). The pool is probably the only thing of interest to your kids. I agree with the other posters. The outer cays would be for you, like Dolphin Beach or Guana Seaside Resort on Guana Cay, Sea Level cottage on Lubber's Qtrs. Cay, or one of the many great cottages on Elbow Cay. All have beaches and gin-colored, turqoise, lime-green waters, just like the Corona commercial. Roberto.
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Robert, are you sure there's no beach at Abaco Bch Resort? We used to stay next door at the Regattas and I was certain there was a beach next door at ABR.
Jul 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM

We were at Treasure Caye Resort 25 years ago and have often said we should return to the Abacos. In the interium we have been to St. John, the B.V.I's, Nevis, Barbados, Grand Cayman, Belize and 5-6 other island/counties.

We are avid snorkelers and remember it being excellent when Treasure Caye Resort was the only hotel on the island.
Is the snorkeling still first rate?
Can we find a boutique resort (30-50 rooms/suites) with a modest-sized pool, nice beach, first rate rooms with A/C, excellent service and good food in late April for $350/couple with meals?
Jul 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM

OrangeT; We spent several hours at Abaco Beach Resort, waiting for Sea level Cottages boat to pick us up in the marina, which is huge. A nice swimming pool and bar area adjacent to gift shop and restaurant, but no beach at all. Robert
Jul 11th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Abaco beach resort had a small beach last year, but hurricane Jeanne must have washed it out.
Stancase: the only place on Treasure Cay with first class rooms is Bahama Beach Club, which is about $350 nightly without food, but they have kitchens, so you can save a little vs eating out. Teasure Cay Resort is comfortable and has everything you need for less, but I thought the rooms were a little dated.