Where to in Caribbean for Xmas "o9

Jan 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Where to in Caribbean for Xmas "o9

I want to start planning now for a Chrismtas "09 trip to a warm and sunny beach location. Family of five - with kids 21, 17 and 15.... we like scenic beauty, prefer small resorts - very nice - on the beach. Not too crowded. Wonderful food. Some activity nearby - such as restaurants, shopping and nature - hiking, history, etc.... TALL ORDER i know. Have you been to this place/??????
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Without knowing what your price range for accommodations might be, it's hard to make suggestions. You're looking at the most expensive week in the year to travel to the Caribbean, and resorts will be more expensive than renting a villa or condo, but with your kids' ages they might enjoy the space that villas and condos provide.

Where will you be traveling from? Are you interested in all-inclusive resorts or do you want to sample lots of different restaurants and local cuisines? Do you need any particular water sports?

In no particular order, I'd recommend the following resorts, which are all mid-range or a little higher in terms of prices. There will certainly be budget motels and high end places on each island, too, but I can't recommend either way without knowing what your personal budget might be.

Nisbet or Oualie on Nevis
Coyaba or True Blue on Grenada
Long Bay Hotel or Blue Waters on Antigua
Timothy Beach Resort on St. Kitts
Long Bay Resort or Sugar Mill on Tortola
Ku on Anguilla

A villa on Grenada, Tortola, Virgin Gorda or Nevis would also be great.
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Remember too that Christmas Week is not only the most expensive time to visit the Caribbean it is also the busiest so finding someplace "not too crowded" may prove a challenge. Of course, "not tpoo crowded" is a relative term since small resorts (which you say you prefer) can be fully booked but still feel "uncrowded".

In addition to the places suggested by ejcrowe check out:

Little Dix Bay - Virgin Gorda
Caneel Bay - St. John
Galley Bay or Carlisle Bay, Antigua

Since you haven't given us any idea of budget you might first want to select your island since most destinations have a variety of accomodations available to fit most budgets. For starters use the Destinations link at the top left of this page. Click through to "Caribbean" then read the descriptions of each island to get a feel for waht each has to offer. Once you do that finding a resort in your budget range will be much easier.

Since you are travelling in winter, avoid anything in the Bahamas as it can be "cool" there in December. If I were you I'd look for islands from Puerto Rico and south.
Jan 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
NM

We travel to Carib every year for Christmas and just returned. It's been Anguilla annually except 07 when we went to Provo, T & C. Yes, it can be way, way more expensive and many places have min. stay requirements 10-14 days. Things book up early, in fact, I just heard that many villas near the Baths in VG are already booked. In addition, air is higher than any other times of the yr. We haven't paid less than $1,200 pp and that's booking 9-10 months ahead. It works for our schedules which is why we do it, however, it definitely is the most busy time and costs.
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Nevis is a great place to visit. We just got back from 2 weeks from Dec 22 to Jan 3.(plus an unplanned week in St Maarten - avoid Liat Air at all costs). Weather was occasionally rainy, but there is so much to do and see. Really wonderful people. I would recommend renting a house. Visit www.nevis1.com for more info.