Where to go on a short 5-day trip?

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Where to go on a short 5-day trip?

We live in Phoenix and our favorite place to go is St. John USVI - BUT we only have 5 days and from Phoenix AZ it takes more than a day there and 1/2 day back.

Any suggestions of ANYWHERE like St. John (quiet, great snorkeling, fantastic beaches, not too arid/deserty, not too pricy) that is less than a whole day trip from the west coast? If necessary, we would accept arid/deserty if the place was right... We don't quite care for Hawaii... seems more dark blue waters (less turquise) As for Bahama's, didn't care for it either, too busy.

I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean last night just to get a mini-fix of my Caribbean!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:32 AM

no problem. your choice is so abvious. you want to go to the Mayan Riveria just south of cancun. try akumal if your into a more laid back thing or playa del carmen if you want a little more happening (especially night life)
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Virginia had a good suggestion. America West Airlines now offers direct flights from Phoenix to Cancun for about $450 + tax/fees. Also, beginning December 1, America West will offer direct flights from Phx to San Jose, Costa Rica. While it will be a long flight, there won't be any plane changes.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:13 PM

Have you been to Ixtapa Mexico? It is more convenient to you and seems to have what you are looking for. I stayed at the Club MEd because I have children but I have friends who liked Las Brisas a lot. Take a look at the reviews at www.tripadvisor.com or the website
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Cancun has that beautiful water, and the sand is amazing too. We took a day trip over to Isla Mujares. Wonderful snorkeling over there also. We are from Mesa, AZ. I would go back to Cancun, but we have a time share vacation to use up in St. Martin. Looks like we will use up 2 days in travel time!

If you do go to Cancun, and have kids, make sure you go to Xcaret!