Search

where to go in DR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to go in DR?

Hi - I am planning a trip to the caribbean with my family for February 2011. We are not picky. Traveling with my husband and daughters 17, 20. We want a nice relaxing place with good pools, a beach and all inclusive. Also want to be able to snorkle and leave the resort to explore. looking for suggestions of a practical place - an island. Bahamas? Dominican? usvi?
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I would definitely say Punta Cana as I have also been to Puerta Plata in the D.R., however, I would not really recommend leaving the resort in either spot. The resorts are all pretty much self-contained! Everything you need is right there. We went into town when we were there and it was kinda scary...I will just leave it at that...However, do not let that sway you to go there, the island and resorts are beautiful! in fact I wilL be planning a return trip to DR in Nov. of next year for a bunch of friends! it is worth it! and as far as Bahamas, I have found that it is a take ir ot leave it island...Meaning, you either like it or you don't...Don't have much to add b/c it is not one of my fav spots to vacations!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

what AI would you recommend?
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Punta Cana is the area specifically developed for tourists with loads of all-inclusive resorts. That's what it's all about.
Sorry I have no particular place to recommend (as I don't go AI and have only been in Sosua, Puerta Plata, and Santo Domingo myself). It's a beautiful island.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:29 AM

We were in the Dominican this year stayed in Dreams La Romana it was lovely but all insluive is not for us are planning on going back but staying in the village Bayhaibe we never saw any trouble there
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Dymo,
How did you like Dreams La Romana? I am thinking of going there in Feb. coming from NYC I have to fly into Santa Domingo how far is that to the resort and do you remember how much? I can't find any information about transportation.