Punta Cana 6 Star help?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Punta Cana 6 Star help?

I am considering booking on of those 6 star square deals for Punta Cana- basically we would not know which resort we are at until days before- but it is guaranteed to be 6 star. Is this a bad idea- or are all the 6 stars acceptable? Will they al;l include freedom to dine wherever we want- or will they have restrictions? Do you think there will be a lot of kids there in early May?
Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM

No offense, but I highly doubt there are ANY 6 star properties in Punta Cana.

PC is known for AI after AI and a place where you can get a lot of bang for your buck. (i.e. - it is one of the cheapest destinations.)

The very top resorts in the Caribbean are known as Five Star properties, and to my knowledge, there is no such thing as 6 star.

I'm not trying to lecture you, just to let you know that it sounds like some website is trying to sell "deluxe" properties by misleading people.

Who is the agency that rated the properties 6 Star? Probably some Punta Cana resort association that no one has ever heard of.

If you are set on Punta Cana, I am sure there are many nice places to stay there, and if you do more research both on here and on tripadvisor.com and some of the other websites, you will find a wonderful place for a vacation.

But if your desire is to find a true luxury experience, you will have better results (but will also pay more) on another island.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM

The resorts are not rated six stars...they are rated six Apples. That is the highest rating Apple Vacations gives a resort. You can go to the Apple Vacation website and find the resorts offered in Punta Cana. See which ones are six stars. I saw Secrets Excellence and the Iberostars listed under six apples.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM

The six apples always reminds me of the amp in Spinal Tap that went to 11.
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:51 AM

we were at secrets excellence...I would rate it a 4.5 - 5, not a six. It was VERY, very good, and we have been to many all inclusives so we have abse to compare it to.

FYI, the Dominican Republic is becoming more popular as a vacation destination for US travellers (it had always had a large European draw) and a result, the prices are increasing. I wouldn't be surprised to see it neck and neck with some of the other islands soon.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Apple it seems over does their "star" system.. and the highest in the D.R. is Secrets in Punta Cana or in La Romana there is the famous Casa de Campo. Secrets will fit the bill for you.. Have not been there, but I have heard the food is incredible as is the service.