Where to go in Barbados?

Jan 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in Barbados?

Will be on the Windstar and it arrives early in the Am in Barbados. Our flgiht is not until 3:30pm that day so would to see or do something fun from 8am-1:30pm. What is the best beach to visit? Any short tours we could do during those times anyone recommends?? Any suggestions where we could leave or luggage?
Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM

I'd see what the cruiseline has to offer for that short period of time.

We've sailed on Windstar ships (Windspirit and Windsurf), but have taken off from Barbados not landed there. We've also spent 2 weeks on Barbados separately.

They often put you up on the south coast. If you want that calm, gorgeous, clear water, head for the west coast.

IMO, I wouldn't go for a tour(there's not thet much to see) I'd head for a west coast beach.

OTOH, ask the cruiseline, you don't have much time, they'll come up with something. Actually, they set us up at the Accra Beach Hotel on the south shore before our cruise. It was lovely, even though we prefer the calm west coast.
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM

With such a short time on Barbados it depends on what you enjoy most.

For the beach there are plenty of options - given the time constraint, a west coast beach is good for calmest waters. I recommend Holetown Beach, there you have water sports a bit of island craft stalls and all types of restaurants at your finger tips.

However to be able to spend a longer time at the beach, because you are so close to the airport. A south coast beach like Accra Beach or Even Silver Sands may be more convenient. These are not calm waters Accra Beach offers a good balance of swimming and body surfing, plus close proximity to restaurants, etc.

An island tour is possible, but not of the whole island and no an organised one. However you can have a private tour tailored to your schedule, most taxi drivers in the cruise terminal do this, just decide on where you'd like to see and it's pretty easy from there. The good thing about this is if you do decide to stop at a beach you already have an organised ride to the airport.

All the best.
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Carlisle Bay is a fantastic, calm bay not far from the cruise terminal. Definitely consider that. Farther up the west coast is Mullins Beach - nice restaurant there, along with chair rentals, but it would be a more costly taxi ride to get there.

You might consider hiring a taxi driver right at the cruise terminal for a private tour around some parts of the island letting him know when you need to be back.
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM

I would personally suggest an island tour and a stop for lunch before getting to the Airport. But would suggest a taxi private tour, or do one of those recommended by the ship. There is actually lots to see around Barbados and if you aren't staying on the island before your cruise for anytime, this gives you a chance to visit.

if this isn't your preference then head to Accra/Rockley beach and hangout for the time you want and head to the airport about 1pmish.
Jan 29th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. Probably our best bet would be to hire a taxi and keep our luggage in the car while we go to the beach. Holetown beach seems nice. Accra Beach is not calm water but has waves-correct? After a bag experience with waves in Cabo I will not go in the water if i see waves ! It never used to bother me but now i stay clear of them. Any idea appoximate cost of hiring taxi for 4 hours?
Thanks again
Jan 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

I will visit Carlisle Bay on the day we arrive as the ship doesnt leave until 11pm and it is close to the dock.
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

We did try to hire a taxi for half a day and we agreed on price. Then I confirmed again that he was taking us to Paynes beach and then the airport. He agreed. He pulls up to a Tamarind hotel on Paynes Beach and starts taking our luggage out of the van. I asked what he is doing as we agreed to hire him for the day and he said he is but no reason to keep the luggage in car while we are at beach for couple hours. Taxi cab brings out luggage into the hotel. The hotel says sure you can keep it here for free. I repeated myself saying you sure its for free. They said yes. The cab leaves and is suppose to meet us in couple of hours. When we walk to the beach the front desk of hotel combes to us while we are going to beach and says yes you keep here for free but to use the beach you have to buy day pass for $80. I said no way and went to take my luggage back. The cab never did get paid so we ended up taking another cab back to airport. We took a cab accross the street from the hotel and they didnt want to be hired for day but would drive us to airport. This new cab driver did yell at me and said i had no respect coming into his car with sand. I have never had such a bad experience and by the time I was at the airport I was in tears. My boyfriend at the airport said good afternoon to security when we were going through and the lady made him repeat himself 3x and then said to him its 11am so its not afternoon yet. Tourists are obviously not liked here. I went years ago when I was a young girl with my parents and I don't remember having any problems. Things have changed and it is sad because I was very impressed with Paynes Beach and would have gone back if it weren't for feeling like I was so hated there. I also think the hotel front desk and cab driver had this scam all worked out as they spoke before we went in.