Where should a first time Caribbean visitor go?

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should a first time Caribbean visitor go?

The Caribbean is the only part of the world we haven't been to. We would like to know which islands/places fodorites recommend for a first time Caribbean visitor.
Are we better off taking a cruise?

We are planning on visiting in Winter 2008-2009. We do not want to go in Summer because of hurricane season.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I should mention we are not beach people and I do not swim.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM

When I was first starting my travels, I bought a travel book on the Caribbean. I read though it to determine which island sounded like one that I would enjoy. Then I looked up as much info on the island online as I could find. I looked here. I looked at hotel descriptions on expedia and did as much reseach as I could. I'm sure you'll find something that peaks your interest.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Hard to really know what to recommend you don't mention any other interests. I would say don't go to any islands that are for the beach, the sand spits, like Cayman, Turks, Anguilla, etc. Pick something with more island beauty like Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica, Tobago, etc. Not sure how adventurous you are but Saba is great, no beaches, quaint, quiet, like no other Carib island. Also, check out November for travel to Carib, yes tail end of Hurricane season but unlikely, still low season, prices all go up generally around 12/15.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM

If you don't want to go to the beach and don't swim, there wouldn't be much to do after a day or two on any of the islands I can think of. Your idea of a cruise is good -- you'll get an overview of a number of different islands and can take tours that don't involve beaches/water activities. I'd recommend an Eastern or Southern Caribbean cruise that goes to 5-6 ports, ideally leaving from San Juan or another Caribbean port. St. Lucia, Dominica, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Martinique, St. Barths, and Jamaica are islands that have interesting tours or activities other than beaches that you could make a day of.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Costa Rica has an abundance of non beach activities. you can even stay in the rain forest in a tree house for a night or two. check out costa rica online and see if its for you.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. You have all given me good advise.

We are thinking of a cruise, since it gives us a time to explore different islands.

I think if we do spend a few days on any particular island, we will soon run out of things to do, since we are not beach people.

I will look at cruise itinerarys and I'll choose one that visits some of the islands recommended in this thread.

Thanks again.