Wedding in VG or SJ?

Jan 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Wedding in VG or SJ?

Hi... fiancee and I are looking for a low key wedding on a beach with just one other couple. Nothing complicated, but just curious on recommendations. We are trying to decide between SJ or VG wedding. That will also determine where we stay for a week before me and new wife hop over to Tortola for 5 days. Thanks for the assist in advance.
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM

What nationality are you and your bride to be? I got married 6 years ago on St. John and it was much easier for Americans to work that out since that is the US. I think the company we used to arrange things was called Weddings The Island Way but I will look it up if you are interested- they got the minister, the photographer, the bouquet, and a very simple set up with flowers and champagne for a toast on a table with a little extra decoration of native flowers and shells. We were married on Hawksnest Beach and it was great. We did not have ANY guests- second marriages for both of us so we kept it very simple. The cost for their services was very small and the wedding planner and photographer served as our two witnesses. I would highly recommend what you are planning! We stayed in SJ for a week in a rented villa with a pool and a gorgeous view- it was perfect.
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Virgin Gorda.
Jan 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Be sure you find out about "residency requirements" (may be a week or so in some places or even more) to get a marriage license. This is a very important issue to consider- look at the legal issues before you choose a location.
Jan 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

ishkribbl...

Thank you and laplaya for the quick reply. We both are made in the U.S.A. This is our second marriage as well. One other couple to witness. Are considering Hawksnest or Cinnamon Bay. Looking into a service performed by a woman people refer to as The Barefoot Minister. Anne Marie Porter I believe her name is. From what I read she is highly reputable. We are renting a villa which is another issue. We are looking into a place called The Retreat which is on the far east end. If anyone can offer an opinion on that as well as any other villas it would be appreciated. Considered VG and a villa on Mahoe Bay called Open Deck.

laplaya...

Any reason behind your choice of VG? Anyone you know of that can do a low key beach wedding? Is it as easy as marrying in SJ? Would appreciate some guidance so I can book. If it matters any, wife and I will end up in a villa in Tortola for 5 days.

Thank you friends.
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM

I have heard and read good things about Ms. Porter and have seen that website. I may have missed it in your post, but did you mention what month you are getting married or what time of day you are thinking about? Once you decide THAT and which island then Ms. Porter (or whoever) will have helpful experiences to guide you like the company we used. Since there is a camping area at Cinnamon and more facilities there I think there tends also to be more people- we chose Hawksnest so there would be fewer people on the beach. We opted for late afternoon on May 10- if I were to plan it over again I would pick morning so it would not be as hot- maybe 9:00 a.m. or so (and we are southerners who are accustomed to heat and humidity). I may be all wrong but I think if you research it that it is far easier to arrange things and get a marriage license in the USVI but see what others say. We flew into St. Thomas and went to the courthouse on the way to the ferry at Red Hook (the wedding planner gave us specific directions)to get the marriage license then took the ferry to St. John. From St. John you can take the ferry to Tortola and there are people on this site who have been there and can give you suggestions. I am not familiar with the villa you are considering- sorry. There is, however, a very active and extremely helpful forum that is USVI only and they helped me enormously plan my weddingmoon so check there! I will look for the address if you don't have it.

Ask laplaya if she has actually ever BEEN to VG- I get the impression from earlier posts that she is considering it but has not been YET.
Jan 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM

A travel agent might know which island is great for wedding.

In terms of island choices, I haven't been to any of your choices.
I have read lots of reviews of the 3 islands you mentioned.

Based on research, I think Virgin Gorda & Tortola are the safest ones.

Virgin Gorda supposedly has better beaches than Tortola.
Jan 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM

to order travel brochure/VG - tourist board toll free at 1-800-835-8530
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM

HansHederman,
If you have the budget, the villas on Mahoe Bay in Virgin Gorda are amazing, and thatís my favorite beach so far in the caribbean (Iíve stayed on Mahoe Bay for a week, and was just in St. John Ėwe went to Hawksnest and Cinnamon too while there). The great thing about Mahoe Bay is that itís steps outside your front door. The sun sets right there too. At the most there were about 5 other people on the whole beach at any time. Itís just stunning. Donít get me wrong-Hawksnest and Cinnamon (for that matter-any beach in St. John) was also gorgeous, but you have to drive to get there. Itís just so relaxing to always have it right outside your front door, and the villas on Mahoe are top notch. We stayed at Caribbean Wind. Here are my travel pix if it helps your decision making at all

VG-
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

St. John-(I have TONS of pictures of Cinnamon, and some of Hawksnest)
Part 1:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=muf3aj&Ux=0

Part 2:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

Good luck, and Congrats!!!

Jan 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hawksnest, Terra Hawk II, and Kalaloo are villas in the national park overlooking Hawksnest Bay.

Try Catered To.com for info.
Jan 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the assist... Kelly, great pix. Thank you for sharing. Brooke is a lucky girl. Fiancee and I had the pleasure of hanging out at Cinnamon Bay for a day trip from STT. Leaning toward a return visit and wedding there altho I am checking on availability of Open Deck in VG. If anyone.... anyone can offer info on eastern end of SJ, namely The Retreat which is on Drekeets (sp?) Bay that would be cool. Looking to seal the deal on a site by next week. Thx again friends.
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Look at this website for the information about BVI weddings:

http://honeymoons.about.com/library/...irgingorda.htm

Scroll down to where it says something about weddings-

the short version is that you only have to be there for 3 days before you can get married there BUT you have to go to Tortola the first day you arrive and start the license process (then go back for it, I think) so that is some extra logistics-

VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW: Either in BVI or in USVI they are very clear about the fact that if one or both of you have been married before that you must bring proof of your divorce to get a license- I had forgotten that part until I read it and remembered what a hassle it was to get an extra copy (here in the states) of my husband's out of state divorce papers and to get a set of my divorce papers to take along to prove we were both actually divorced- the wedding planner for our SJ wedding had spelled it out for us, thank goodness, so we had all the required documentation-

read all the fine print before you go!
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thx to everyone for their suggestions... it took a while, but we decided on SJ for the small beach (Cinnamon) ceremony, stay at Palladio's View villa on Coral Bay side for a week, then off to Tortola for a stay at Shan's Bungalow on Cane Garden Bay. Some day trips to VG and Jost will be included. Looks like we'll be missing the famous Bomba Shack full moon party, tho. I believe there's a music fest in Tortola in May. If anyone knows what this is about, I'd like some details. Thanks again to all.

Search this Thread