Search

Where shall we go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where shall we go?

We are a family of four (parents and two teenage daughters). We would like to visit the Caribbean (never been) and need some help deciding where to go. We are interested in nice beaches, watersports and a place that has some fun shopping. The places we are contemplating are San Jaun, St. John, Grand Bahama Island and Grand Cayman. We would be staying at a Starwood property.

An aside - is going to the Caribbean in July or August crazy? This is about the only time we can go due to job committments.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Well, it's off season so you'll get better rates; however, it's also hurricane season - you just never know. I'd recommend trip insurance. St. John is great, but will be more expensive even in the off season. Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM

St. John - the Starwood property there is the Westin - I would recommend a car just for the flexibility to get to the beaches - their's is not so great). If you want to stay in a hotel - Caneel Bay has 7 beaches on their property to choose from (we stayed there last year). But if you're looking for pool activities, don't go to Caneel Bay - it's pretty quiet...

We went to St. Thomas in 2001 and St. John 2003 & 2004 (just got back), each time in July - no significant issues with weather (some rain) but it's always something to consider.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:55 AM
caribtraveler

We've been to San Juan, St. John and Grand Bahama Island.
In order of best beaches: St. John, Grand Bahama Island and San Juan (distant 3rd).
In order of best shopping: San Juan, Grand Bahama Island, St. John (distant 3rd) - but you could take a boat to St. Thomas for the shopping.
For watersports: I remember more watersports available on Grand Bahama Island (snorkeling, waverunner, parasailing); St. John is more about snorkeling, we thought. We didn't look into watersports in San Juan so not sure.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:01 AM
caribtraveler

Fyi, for us best beaches mean crystal-clear water, gentle surf, and powdery-soft sand.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM

The Westin at St. John had windsurfs & kayaks... there were kids on a floating trampoline (I believe they had waverrunners too - for an additional fee). Caneel Bay had windsurfs & kayaks. They both have snorkeling equipment & dive trips that are arranged through the activities desk (or in town - Connections in Cruz Bay was helpful). On each USVI visit we have gone on day trips - to the BVI (bring a passport) & around the island. But caribtraveler is right - it's mostly about snorkeling & diving... some beaches are only accessible by hiking or by boat.

I have been to all the places you mentioned (admittedly, San Juan on business) as well as Aruba. Each island has its own appeal.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Had you thought about Negril Jamaica? We took our 2 kids (17 & 23) there in May. The water was gorgeous & the beach too. There was snorkeling & many other watersports. Shopping is interesting. There are a couple of shopping areas & many craft vendors. Definitely worth checking into. The people were wonderful. It was voted #3 in Top 10 Caribbean Beaches on a recent Travel Channel show.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:44 AM

I would suggest looking into Grand Cayman. It has everything you said you wanted in a vacation. If you are staying at a Starwood property, that most likely would be the Westin, which is regarded as the nicest hotel on GC. It sits on a gorgeous stretch of beach, and you can walk for miles. Seven Mile Beach is actually only 5.5 miles long, but by far one of the most beautiful beaches we've seen in the caribbean. The water is crystal clear, and the snorkeling is world class.

The Island itself is one of the safest islands, and has some of the best restaurants around. Although GC can be expensive, there are plenty of ways to save $$. Georgetown has plenty of shopping, and again, perfectly safe. The locals are very friendly here.

Staying at the Westin, you'll have access to just about every watersport you can think of. I would highly recommend renting a car, so you see the other parts of the island. There are amazing snorkel sites from shore all over the place.

Again, Grand Cayman seems to meet (all) your criteria. It's the only island in the caribbean we've been to more than once....
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the help.

After reading more I am wondering about the weather. We really want sun. Do you think Hawaii might be a better bet? We've been to Hawaii and really want to see the Caribbean but sun is of the utmost importance.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:39 PM

You'll have sun in St. John... and some of the most beautiful beaches. I have been to Maui & Kauai - we're returning to Maui in December. But if I had a choice, I'd pick the St. John any day. Your daughters might get bored on St. John... it just depends on what you're looking for.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM

The weather in Aruba last July was beautiful.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Hi I am a teacher too and I usually end up going during the school holidays also. I would highly suggest either Grand Cayman or Aruba. Aruba will always have great weather because it's out of the hurricane belt. We stayed at the Radisson and loved its lush grounds and tropical atmosphere. The Hyatt and Marriott are also great.

Grand Cayman-We stayed at the Westin. It is on the best strip of 7mile. If if we went with more people we would've went to the Condos next door "Villas of the Galleon" They are located on the same strip as the Westin.

On your question of going to the Caribbean in July-we went in July and it was less expensive than the Dec/Feb/April breaks. Sometime in April hotels start discounting their prices.