Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place in Turks and Caicos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go to Turks and Caicos. We like a luxury property with a great beach and food. We prefer a place without children and a smaller hotel. Don't like to see a lot of guests on vacation. TIA
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM

are yo going to dive? not much else to do there if you dont dive.
we went in feb and the weather was gorgeous. lots of good food, but not alot of shopping.
we stayed in provo at the paradise inn. very remote and cheap, but clean. we walked the beach and found ourselves at clubmed.
definetly worth looking into if you are childless and like the scene.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Parrot Cay if you are looking for luxury.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Our favorite on Provo is Coral Gardens. A smallish luxury hotel with beautiful, all-suite accomodations (esp. the Oceanfront Grand One BR suites.) It has a spectacular flour-soft white beach with great snorkeling right off the shore. A bonus near the reef is turtle grass beds where large hawksbill turtles can usually be seen feeding. The restaurant is arguably the best on the island, and the beach grill is fine for lunch. We have breakfast served on the terrace or our room overlooking the ocean. Magical! Not inexpensive, but definitely worth the price.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I second the Coral Gardens recommendation. We have stayed there about 17 times. Best place to stay if you plan to snorkel. Don't know when you plan to go but believe starting in August they are having a stay seven nights pay for five sale. Best time to go is when kids are in school. Agree Coyaba restaurant is the best on Provo. My other choice would be Grace Bay Club. The restaurant, Anacona, is not as good as Coyaba or Magnolia but is very romantic Grace Bay Club. Good info on Provo is www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos.
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM

hi andrea, not that i've been, but there is a new lux resort on the west end of the island called amanyara. its really remote.
most of the hotels are along grace bay beach so anyone you choose.. grace bay beach has been voted in the top 10 most beautiful on earth a couple times.
try this link for a good map of the island: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
i agree that coral gardens is a wonderful hotel but it is one of the few places that people gather in front of - for the snorkeling - which as angler and howard said is best on island.
you might look at the palms,le vele, grace bay club or turks and caicos club which is apart from most of the resorts so should be more private.
wonderful restaurants. coyaba for the food, anacona for the romantic atmosphere, aqua bar is just good. i enjoyed hemingways for lunch very much.
and fyi none of the resorts currently operating are really large. none are over 7 stories. most only 3-4. none like the mega places on maya riveria coast. mandalay bay will be huge but they are hardly out of the ground yet.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM

I second Parrot Cay. If you do not like to see a lot of guests on vacation I would not go to Coral Gardens cause many people go over to their section of the beach to snorkell. Seemed like a nice resort but in my opinion would not meet your privacy requirement. Point Grace or Grace bay club may be another choices that fit your needs.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Don't know if you would consider a private villa or not, but my husband and I had the same criteria as you and we found a great place that we are renting next February.

It's called Corriander Cottage and it was just built in November 05. It is a one bedroom place on one of the best areas of beach, with it's own private pool.

I have gotten feedback from other folks who have already stayed at this villa and it has gotten great reviews.

Here is a website, in case you're interested.

http://www.sandstonevilla.com/#top
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM

In June we are going to a brand new luxury resort called Amanyara. Not much has been written yet as it just opened in late March. I'm hoping Howard might have a comment or two being that he travels to T&C often. Howard have you checked it out? We're a little nervous with it being so new, but latest tripadvisor reports are positive. We're praying it will live up to it's reputation.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Can't help re Amanyara. Haven't been to Provo since last Nov. My personal take--Very expensive. Long way from Grace Bay and the restaurants. Ifr you want seclusion it is probablt fine.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM

We rented a condo at Villa Renaissance when we were in Turks two years ago. Here's the link to the property:
http://www.villarenaissance.com/

Our condo was fantastic! I think there are just over a dozen condos on the grounds. Very well kept and the grounds were pretty. Often we were the only people on the beach in front of Villa Renaissance! I loved that part - never had to go down to the beach early to get a prime location.

Only thing is that Villa Renaissance does not have a restaurant on the grounds. There are so many good resturants in Turks & Caicos though, so venture out. One of our favorites was Magnolia.

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:03 PM

katiekate, we tried to take a look at amanyara this spring but were prevented from doing so by gaurds at a chain link fence/gate they have erected across the road. it is my understanding that even if ones gets by the first gate there is another. so your report upon return will be most interesting as you will be one of few to have a chance to see it. actually they have more or less closed off access to a large part of the malcolm beach area by the placement of part of their resort on a rock bluff which thus prevents anyone from geting past the front of the resort. also they tore down the rest of the famous tiki huts
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to write when we get home.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I saw the Amanyara in the distance from Malcolms beach. I did not go thru it but it is a place to go if you do not want to see a lot of people! Far from Grace Bay
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Parrot Cay
Grace Bay Club
Point Grace
Somerset (although the restaurant is not open yet)
Somerset is my all time favorite
I had lunch at Amanyara, you will love the seclusion, and Malcolm's Beach is my favorite in the world, but I didn't like the food at all!!!! And it's a hassle if you want to go to other extremely restaurants.
Best restaurants: Coyoba (on Mondays? the have a beach dinner) Grace's Cottage, Magnolia's.