Where for Honeymoon...

Jul 30th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Melissa

Where for Honeymoon...

I am going on my honeymoon in late june/early july of 2003 and would like to go to the Carribean. Any ideas for a romantic, yet not too isolated place with beautiful white beaches and good scuba diving?

Thanks

Jul 30th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Tina

This is not the best time to go to the Caribbean--but you could try Bermuda at The Reefs or at Bonaire for good scuba--less chance for hurricanes. See Fodor's suggestions online for best places to stay.
If the budget allows there is nothing like Hawaii especially the Big Island but if you have only one week try the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu--very large and wide white sand beach.

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Bud

Melissa, Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? It is hard to make a recommendation with the sparse info you gave. Budget? Water sports? Accomodations? Dining? The only limit is how much money you are willing to spend. My two recommendations at this time are Provo in the Turks and Anguilla for great resorts.

Jul 31st, 2002, 12:02 AM
Melissa

We live in Switzerland, so no matter where we go it will be far away, as we would like to get out of Europe! Hawaii is out of the question, we were thinking of about 2 weeks. As for a budget, we're looking at more upscale, like Cap Juluca in Anguilla, around that price. My Fiancé is a diver, I love the beach, and we both love good food.

Jul 31st, 2002, 06:23 AM
Janet

We loved St. John, USVI. You can either rent one of several villas that have pools and spectaclar views or if you want an upscale "understated" luxury resort then look into Caneel Bay.

Many people I have read have married and honeymooned on St. John and absolutely loved it. It's a very lovely island. In my opinion.

Jul 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM
delegator

Try searching under Honeymoon on this site, traveltalkonline and wheretostay.com. There are many posts like this. I, myself, posted a very vague request once, before I knew to search these boards. However, people were very nice to me and responded with great suggestions, so I'll try to do the same. Note, however, that I haven't been to any of these places, so my info. is really just a regurgitation of what I learned from my searching.

We wanted isolated, more than luxurious, though luxury is always a good thing.

We checked the weather for our trip time (late nov./early dec.) and ruled out some islands (such as St. Lucia - there was too much rain).

We then narrowed it down to Antigua, Peter Island, St. John and Virgin Gorda.

We then narrowed it down to Cap Jaluca, Caneel Bay, Biras Creek and Peter Island.

We took out Cap Jaluca and Caneel Bay as they were both bigger than we wanted. However, our friends got back from Cap Jaluca last month and they LOVED IT. They couldn't say enough good things about it. They raved about the service and their room. They also raved about the food on Antigua. It seems as if there are many, many great restaurant choices there.

We then chose between Peter Island and Biras. Scubamom.Com has good, informative reviews. Given our budget and that Biras was actually smaller, we chose Biras. We're really excited about how isolated it seems. You get bikes to take to the beach, you get boston whalers to putter around in (and scuba), you get outdoor showers. What you don't get, though, is an amazing beach. Caneel seems to be a better place for that. PEter Island, too, appears to have better beaches.

I know this isn't that detailed, but hopefully it is a start and tells you how we went about making our decision.

Good luck; contrats.

Aug 1st, 2002, 10:52 AM
Al

If you live in Europe...go to the southern coast of Italy (Praiano, Sorrento, etc.) or the Greek isles! By far, we enjoyed both of those places more than the Caribbean destinations we've been to - Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St. John, St. Thomas, and the BVIs.