Luxury Honeymoon Within Reason?

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury Honeymoon Within Reason?

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon for May 1st 2005. We have been flip flopping back and forth, first looking at Hawai, then the Caribbean, then Greece and now we're back to square 1. First and foremost we want luxury- we'll be going for 10-12 days however while for us we'll be splurging(we're in our mid 20s), we dont want to spend more then 6000 dollars (approx.). We are looking for the following:
- great weather so that we can lie out during the day.
- A gorgeous hotel room to enjoy our honeymoon
- Fantastic service
- Some good dining and bar options at night
- A smaller resort feel(even if it isn't small)- where we aren't staying at a cookie cutter hotel.
Are we asking for something reasonable? Any suggestions would be helpful. I've read this site for months now but I am a bit overwhlemed at this point- I don't know where to look first.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Sunnyboy

The Caribbean has many places that will meet your needs. Check out the following places (you can use the search feature above to find loads of information):

Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda (BVI's);
Cap Jaluca, Cusinart or Malliouhana on Anguilla;
Sandy Lane on Barbados;
Four Seasons, Montpelier or Nisbet Plantation on Nevis;
Caneel Bay on St. John;
Almost any resort on St. Barts.

Really, it's not all that difficult chosing a place - it will be your honeymoon and any of the top resorts will give you the "perfection" you are seeking. What you should first try to do is select the type of island you want to visit. For instance a flat coral based island like Anguilla has fantastic beaches and loads of great restaurants but little natural vegetation. Nevis, on the other hand is volcanic and mountainous so it has long darker sand beaches (which are lovely in their own way)lush vegetation, rain forests and excellent dining. Virgin Gorda offers a hilly topography with a bit of lushness, excellent smaller beaches, terrific snorkeling, a quiet laid back atmosphere and very good (but somewhat limited) dining. Barbados is a larger island with a decidedly "English" heritage where you'll find fine beaches, a variety of dining options and interesting night life. St. John is similar to Virgin Gorda and has the added appeal of have more than two-thirds of the island set aside as a National Park. St. Barts offers fine beaches, rolling hills (but it's not as lush as say Nevis, St. John or Virgin Gorda), some of the finest French restaurants in the Caribbean, sophistacated shopping and a overall upscale European feel. After you pick you island finding the resort will be easy as almost every island has an upscale reort that will cater to your every desire. Good luck finding your special someplace.

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I can discuss St. Bart's extensively if that is where you are leaning. I actually got married there in Gustavia. We have vacationed there over a dozen times, I would love to live there. It is perfect for a honeymoon and you don't need a million dollars if you book smart. One drawback, very little nightlife. Ask anything else though. Goodluck!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:20 AM

mashaw,

Your request is most reasonable. For a honeymoon you will remember fondly for the rest of your marriage, I would suggest a private villa in Jamaica. There are several in the Tryall Club complex which have rates for one bedroom usage in a 3 or 4 bedroom villa.
Also, Linda Smith's www.jamaicavillas.com site will show you a number of wonderful small villas which have beach privileges at Round Hill, and offer 1 bedroom rates in 3 to 4 bedroom villas. For instance, check Goat Hill Villa on Linda's site.
Complete privacy, your own pool, a staff ready to do your bidding for meals when you want them, how you want them, and with menus of your favorites you can help prepare with the cook (and a cook who will have an excellent repertoire of mouth-watering yummies, including some Jamaican dishes you probably have never heard of, but will declare you love as soon as you taste them). And with a laundress on staff, you can pack lighter than if you went to a hotel.
Plus, you have access to some nice restaurants and clubs in MoBay.
However, I'll bet once you get to your villa, you won't want to leave for anything.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Suspect some spamming is going on here by "golf guy" - he recommends Tryall in lots of mails, all the time. Seems likely he's working (and advertising!) for them. Just thought I should sound a note of warning...
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Carola22,
I don't think there's any ulterior motive behind golf_guy's posts but rather he's simply someone who has fallen in love with a particular resort and returns year after year, just as I have. In his case, it's Tryall, in my case it's the Jamaica Inn. You'll find that I frequently rave about the Inn on the this board. Would you accuse me of spamming?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:46 AM

To Carola 22,

I agree with Patty's observations. "Golf Guy" is a helpful contributor to this board. He speaks highly of Jamaica Inn as well as Tryall. His screen name should give you a clue as to why he might favor Tryall...but his advice is, in my opinion, unbiased and accurate. The man has style and tries to help. Isn't that what this board is about ?

Marion

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Thanks Patty and MarionCK. Hope you had wonderful Thanksgivings.

Carola22, you are nearly correct. I'm not spamming, but, while I am not on the payroll for Tryall Club, I am certainly working hard to make sure people know about what a great place I think it is. I've been to Jamaica nearly 2 dozen times, and at Tryall more than a half dozen times.
There are many posts I don't respond to, because I'm afraid I'll sound like a broken record. But it seems obvious to me that a number of newcomers to Fodors don't know to run a search through the search box above and therefore probably have not seen the copious posts on a topic that have gone on before.
As a result, try to fight it as I might, I find myself poking away on the keyboard to sing that same old song about Tryall, and sometimes the Jamaica Inn, and occasionally Jamaica in general (I used to wade into those every-other-week "Jamaica is unsafe because....! Oh No It Isn't -- New York is more dangerous!...Sez You!...You can't call yourself well-traveled --- you've never been to someplace I've been that's even more exotic than anyplace you've been" argument posts that always ended up with people insulting each other. This was in the days before registration.

Anyway, Carola22, as much as I wish Tryall would hire me to do publicity for them (just so I could get a free week every now and then), you can rid yourself of that unfounded suspicion. I'm merely someone who wants others to now the pleasures I have discovered in Jamaica and at Tryall.

Anyhow, sorry to disappoint you Carola22.

Patty, hope you and MarionCK have a magic Christmas. Wouldn't it be fun to wake up on Christmas morning in the White Suite at JamInn? Imagine Teddy softly singing Christmas carols under your window, with a steaming plate of saltfish and ackee and a pot of Blue Mountain coffee set at your table by the water, with papaya, melon, and that sweet Westmorland Parish pineapple, next to your bed.

Yeah, that's nice.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the well wishes, golf_guy and same to you! I too thought of wading in on the current Jamaica safety thread but decided it was better not to
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:25 AM

Sincere apologies to golf guy and others - I jumped to a conclusion which was obviously wrong!! It's just that there HAVE been people on this board who kept recommending a certain place, giving websites etc., who were obviously spamming. But of course recommending places you love is what this board is all about, I have done so myself lots of times!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Carola22,

OK, kiss-kiss, group hug. We can all be friends again.

I'll try to hold the superlatives to fewer than 10 per post from now on.